Malware campaign strikes Asian, European governments
Trend Micro said that the attack emails purported to come from China's defense ministry
IDG News Service - Trend Micro says it detected a targeted attack that sent malware-laden emails to representatives of 16 European countries and some Asian governments.
The bogus emails purported to come from China's defense ministry and contained a malicious attachment that exploited a now-patched vulnerability in Microsoft Office versions 2003 to 2010, wrote Jonathan Leopando, a technical communications specialist with Trend Micro.
If the email attachment is opened on an unpatched computer, a "backdoor" program is then installed that steals login credentials for websites and email credentials from Internet Explorer and Microsoft Outlook, Leopando wrote.
The stolen information was then sent to two IP addresses in Hong Kong, although those servers have since been shut down, he wrote.
The targets of the attack would suggest that hackers were looking for victims in the diplomatic community. Leopando noted that similar emails were also sent to some Chinese media organizations.
"The topic of the email -- and the attached document -- would be of interest to these targets," Leopando wrote. "In addition, the information stolen and where it was stolen from -- is very consistent with targeted attacks aimed at large organizations that use corporate mainstays like Internet Explorer and Outlook."
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- 2013 Cyber Risk Report The "Cyber risk report 2013 Executive summary" presents the major findings of HP Security Research's comprehensive dive into today's cyber vulnerability and threat...
- Why You Need a Next-Generation Firewall This white paper explores the reasons for implementing next-generation (NG) firewalls and lays out a path to success for overburdened IT organizations.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Malware and Vulnerabilities White Papers | Webcasts