Untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 available for download
Absinthe 2.0 is the first untethered jailbreak available for the third-generation iPad
IDG News Service - Absinthe 2.0, the jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1, is ready and available for download, the Jailbreak Dream Team announced at the Hack in the Box conference in Amsterdam on Friday.
Absinthe 2.0 is untethered, which is more desirable than tethered jailbreaks because it allows users to reboot their devices without plugging them into external computers. Untethered jailbreaks also allow devices to remain jailbroken after a reboot.
"We actually managed to finish the untethered jailbreak for the 5.1.1 OS version," said jailbreaker Nikias Bassen, also known by his Twitter handle @pimskeks, at the end of two presentations the Jailbreak Dream Team gave during the conference. The team announced the new jailbreak by mentioning "one more thing," the phrase former Apple CEO Steve Jobs often used to slyly announce major news at Apple press conferences.
Absinthe 2.0 is the first untethered jailbreak for the third generation iPad, and can also be used for the iPhone 4S, 4 and 3GS, the iPad 2 and 1 and the iPod Touch. It is available for download at the team's website. However, Absinthe 2.0 only works with devices that run iOS 5.1.1.
When the new jailbreak was announced, the team's website was down. "It is available for download as soon as we manage to get the server back online," said Bassen promised, who half jokingly added that they might have been hacked.
He worked on the jailbreak with jailbreakers Joshua Hill (@p0sixninja), David Wang (@planetbeing) and Cyril, who did not provide his last name and is also known as (@pod2g).
The jailbreakers expect their latest software to be downloaded about a million times, they said during a press conference following the announcement. In the past, the jailbreaks were downloaded about half a million times, but that number is increasing, they added.
The jailbreakers don't expect that Apple will roll out a quick fix for the latest iOS hack. "Of course, they are going to patch things. But I'm not sure they will release a new version of iOS just for this. I think they will wait for iOS 6," said Cyril. The jailbreakers -- who met each other in person for the first time during the conference -- expect that a beta version of iOS 6 will become available soon.
They denied rumors that they have already started working on an iOS 6 jailbreak. "We are actually not working on that," Bassen said, adding that "it is always good to have an exploit in the drawer," hinting that they have other jailbreaking methods lined up that can be tried on the next version of iOS. "There is a good chance we will use one of them," Bassen said.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Threat Landscape Hardly a day goes by without the discovery of a new cyberthreat somewhere in the world! But how do you keep up with...
- Security for Virtualization In the rush to implement virtualization, security has become second. So while the business benefits are clear, the risks are less well documented...
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Malware and Vulnerabilities White Papers | Webcasts