Android 4.0 to get Flash Player by year's end
Adobe commits to one more version of Flash for mobile browsing on Ice Cream Sandwich-based devices
Computerworld - Adobe will provide one more version of Flash Player for the new Android 4.0 operating system by year's end before following through on its plan to halt development of the software for mobile browsers.
The Flash Player version for Android 4.0 will be available for download to the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone. Early reviewers found that the Adobe software is not preloaded on the Galaxy Nexus, the first device to run the new Google OS version, also known as Ice Cream Sandwich.
The Galaxy Nexus is already shipping in the UK and due to come to Canada on Dec. 7.
Verizon Wireless will have a 4G LTE version of Galaxy Nexus, but the carrier and Google haven't announced a the U.S. release date.
In a statement, Adobe said it "will release one more version of the Flash Player for mobile browsing, which will provide support for Android 4.0 -- expected to be released before the end of this year."
The statement first appeared on Phonescoop.com yesterday.
Ths AT&T statement seems consistent with Adobe's Nov. 9 comment that it would not continue to develop Flash Player in the browser to work with NEW [emphasis added] mobile device configurations." Android 4.0 was nearing full release by that time.
Adobe also promised on Nov. 9 it would provide bug fixes and security updates for existing device configurations, which presumably includes Android 4.0.
Adobe said its decision to ditch Flash Player was made to help boost its investment to HTML5, a widely-adopted mobile Flash alternative that Apple has preferred in its products, mainly for better battery efficiency.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Google's Android OS
- Malware-infected Android apps spike in the Google Play store
- Nokia plans forked Android smartphone for Barcelona unveiling
- LG G Flex deep-dive review: The curious case of the curved phone
- Xperia Z1S deep-dive review: A stylish phone with power and panache
- Low-end smartphone battle forces Nokia to Android
- Moto G real-world review: The best budget phone money can buy
- Google escalates offensive against Office with Android 'KitKat'
- Galaxy Note 3 deep-dive review: A plus-sized phone with perks and quirks
- LG G2 deep-dive review: Extraordinary hardware in an ordinary phone
- Android 4.4 to be officially called KitKat
Read more about iOS in Computerworld's iOS Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Understanding big data so you can act with confidence Automating information integration and governance and employing it at the point of data creation helps organizations boost confidence in their big data.
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts