IDG News Service - Users of Apple's iTunes services should keep a close eye on PayPal and credit card statements for fraudulent iTunes charges.
For more than a year, scammers have been racking up unauthorized charges on iTunes accounts, leaving Apple's customers to clean up the mess.
The number of people being hit by the fraudsters now seems to be growing, however.
"My iTunes account just got hacked and someone made about $700 worth of purchases," one Facebook poster wrote Monday. "I contacted Paypal (who was awesome btw, refunded all) and they said Apple has gotten so many attacks since June, they can barely keep up with reporting them all!"
That scam victim, Layne Harris, said he has no idea how his account was compromised.
PayPal, which is often processing the unauthorized charges, confirmed Monday that customers are being reimbursed for the fraud.
The fraud "is happening on the iTunes side," a PayPal spokeswoman said via e-mail. She referred further questions about the scam to Apple.
Scammers appear to be gaining access to the accounts by sending out fake phishing e-mail messages that try to trick users into disclosing their iTunes user names and passwords. Those credentials are then used to pile on charges for music or iTunes gift codes.
Low-cost iTunes gift codes can be easily obtained on the Internet. For example, this $100 iTunes gift code is for sale on the Ioffer.com auction site, with the suspicious caveat that it can only be used for 24 hours within purchase.
Apple confirmed that legitimate iTunes gift codes do not have an expiration date, and expire only after being redeemed.
Apple said Monday that victims of the fraud must work things out with their banks and credit card companies.
"iTunes is always working to prevent fraud and enhance password security for all of our users," Apple said in an e-mailed statement. "But if your credit card or iTunes password is stolen and used on iTunes we recommend that you contact your financial institution and inquire about canceling the card and/or issuing a chargeback for any unauthorized transactions. We also recommend that you change your iTunes account password immediately."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts