Facebook hits milestone, tops Google for a week
For week of March 13, Facebook surpassed Google as most-visited U.S. Web site
Facebook was the most-visited Web site in the country for the week ending March 13, said Hitwise, an online traffic monitor, in a report today. While Google has returned to the top spot, Matt Tatham, a Hitwise spokesman, said grabbing that position for a whole week was a major milestone for Facebook.
For the week that Facebook was No. 1, with 7.07% of all U.S. visits, Google was right behind the social networking site, with 7.03%, Hitwise noted. Rounding out the top five was Yahoo Mail, with 3.80%; Yahoo's main site, with 3.67%; and YouTube, with 2.14%.
"One reason for Facebook's success is the features that make it easy to share information and online content with friends," Tatham told Computerworld. "This content sharing is making it the first destination for people going online."
Google has long been firmly entrenched in the top spot. The search giant has been consistently the most-visited U.S. Web site since the week ending Sept. 15, 2007, when it surpassed the previous traffic leader, MySpace, according to Tatham.
Facebook has been making inroads, though.
Hitwise reported that Facebook outpaced Google this past Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. However, this month was the first time that the site held the top position for a full week.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts