Facebook hits milestone, tops Google for a week
For week of March 13, Facebook surpassed Google as most-visited U.S. Web site
Facebook was the most-visited Web site in the country for the week ending March 13, said Hitwise, an online traffic monitor, in a report today. While Google has returned to the top spot, Matt Tatham, a Hitwise spokesman, said grabbing that position for a whole week was a major milestone for Facebook.
For the week that Facebook was No. 1, with 7.07% of all U.S. visits, Google was right behind the social networking site, with 7.03%, Hitwise noted. Rounding out the top five was Yahoo Mail, with 3.80%; Yahoo's main site, with 3.67%; and YouTube, with 2.14%.
"One reason for Facebook's success is the features that make it easy to share information and online content with friends," Tatham told Computerworld. "This content sharing is making it the first destination for people going online."
Google has long been firmly entrenched in the top spot. The search giant has been consistently the most-visited U.S. Web site since the week ending Sept. 15, 2007, when it surpassed the previous traffic leader, MySpace, according to Tatham.
Facebook has been making inroads, though.
Hitwise reported that Facebook outpaced Google this past Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. However, this month was the first time that the site held the top position for a full week.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts