8 weird but cool Android apps
Some fun ways to play with your new smartphone.
Computerworld - So you told your boss that you bought your Android smartphone so that you could track your business calls, be more effective when traveling for your company, have easy access to Gmail and keep your organization's Twitter feed current. But we know what's really going on -- you got that smartphone because it was cool and because you wanted to play with all the apps. (And possibly because it wasn't Apple or AT&T.)
Just for the heck of it, I've gathered eight free apps that are just plain fun to use. A couple of them are also actually useful; another two are sort of useful (if you stretch the point a bit); the last four are just there to play with.
And if you have any to add, please mention them in the article comments.
Actually useful apps
Avast, me hearties! Car owners who live in cities often have to park on the street. Less urban folks who go to the mall get to park in huge lots the size of a small country. Either way, it's easy to forget where you left your car. This is what makes a parking reminder app such as Carrr Matey so useful.
There are a number of similar apps out there -- including the increasingly popular Car Locator -- but as far as I'm concerned, this is the best one out there. Not only does it let you mark where you've parked your car and then help you find it again (using the phone's GPS), but Carrr Matey has at least one thing the others do not.
It talks like a pirate.
So you don't park your car -- you drop anchor. Can't remember where your car, uh, ship is? Click on the Find Vessel button. Don't want the Navy -- i.e., the police -- to give you a ticket when the meter runs out? Set the timer. And if you want to make note of which part of the garage your vessel is in, click on the Harbor button and you can note (by drawing on your touch screen) the level, letter or space you're using -- on a treasure map.
So if you wish that Talk Like a Pirate Day lasted all year long, Carrr Matey is the app to try.
Now that the latest Star Trek movie has revamped the entire franchise, it's become more acceptable to admit that you're a Star Trek geek. So you don't have to hide the fact that you've downloaded an app onto your Android phone called Tricorder. And that it beeps just like a "real" tricorder. And looks like something Scotty would use to check the engines.
But strangely enough, Tricorder also does practical stuff. It performs an acoustical analysis of the ambient sound in your area (useful if you're about to record a podcast). It measures the strength of the cellular and Wi-Fi signals in your area. It locates the closest GPS signal and tells you what satellites are in range -- not bad to have if you want to figure out what's going on with your GPS service. It monitors the local gravitational and magnetic fields (yes, really!). Oh, and it tracks solar flares -- just in case you're worried about them.
In other words, if you're a tech nerd, Tricorder actually offers up some interesting data. And it does all this with one of the coolest interface designs this side of the Neutral Zone.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!