Google's 'phone friendly' #mobilegeddon causes SEO mass HYSTERIA

Google: Don't say we didn't warn you

Today's the day Google's new "mobile friendly" search algorithm goes into effect. Simply put, from now on web pages easily viewed by mobiles get placed higher in search results, the others... not so much.

So if you happen to hear screams of anguish originating from a sales or marketing department today you will probably know why: Odds are high that a SERPs rank fell low.

In IT Blogwatch, bloggers reach for a cell phone.

Today's humble blogwatcher is .

Luck is for the unprepared, so says Katherine Noyes:

Google said in February that it was going to make mobile-friendliness matter more to its search-engine rankings. [Today], it makes good on that...and webmasters who didn't heed the warning may see a steep drop in traffic.

It's a shift so potentially fraught with peril for those who aren't ready that it's being called "Mobilegeddon.".  MORE

Liam Tung shows us the way to a mobile future:

[Google warned in February] that the change would have a "significant impact" on search rankings - especially given that around half of searches are thought to be conducted from a mobile device.

Those wanting to see if their websites are likely to be affected can use Google's mobile friendly test tool, available here.  MORE

Mobile is tough for everyone, except Kelly Fiveash:

In light of last week's...decision brought by Brussels' competition chief against Google...some commentators have [characterized] Mountain View's latest algorithmic tweak as an attack on SMBs that operate in the 28-member-state bloc.

However, while Google may indeed hamper the search rankings...a few have noted that mobile remains a tough place to rake in ad revenues –- even for the biggest players out there today.

In June last year, former Financial Times Silicon Valley scribe Tom Foremski claimed that "even Google" was "having trouble" with making money from mobile ads.  MORE

Having a web page helps Hayley Tsukayama and Sarah Halzack increase page rank :

[Particularly] small and medium-sized businesses that simply haven't had the resources or knowledge to keep up with user search trends.

Roughly one-fifth of small businesses reported having a mobile-friendly Web site in the National Small Business Administration's 2013 technology survey; 18 percent had no Web site at all.  MORE

Straight from the high ranking horse's mouth:

Starting today, to make it easier for people to [find information]...we're adding a "mobile-friendly" label to our mobile search results.

This change will be rolling out globally over the next few weeks. A page is eligible for the "mobile-friendly" label if it meets the following criteria as detected by Googlebot...  MORE

Sarvesh Srivastava crunches mobile-friendly numbers:

[By] 2020, the use of Google search by mobile users is expected to reach a whopping 68.6% leaving behind the Desktop segment to a mere 31.4%.

[Overall] it is going to be very interesting to see whether Google [can cope] with the challenges in the next few months and remain the number one search engine or if this will be the start of the downfall of Google.  MORE

Meanwhile, Jillian D'Onfro speaks her mind:

When we asked small businesses and webmasters what they thought of the update and whether or not they were prepared, we got a flood of emails. Here's some of what we heard...  MORE

You have been reading IT Blogwatch by Richi Jennings and , who curate the best bloggy bits, finest forums, and weirdest websites… so you don't have to. Catch the key commentary from around the Web every morning. Hatemail may be directed to @itblogwatch or Opinions expressed may not represent those of Computerworld. Ask your doctor before reading. Your mileage may vary. E&OE.

Copyright © 2015 IDG Communications, Inc.

Shop Tech Products at Amazon