Networking Topic Center
The latest news, analysis, opinions and more on computer networking
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission has the green light to collect new data on the pricing of so-called special access services, the middle-mile network services used to deliver business broadband and mobile service backhaul.
Verizon Wireless beat out the other three national carriers for overall network performance, reliability and speed in the first half of 2014, according to an analysis by RootMetrics released Tuesday.
As promised by its new CEO, Sprint announced late Monday it will lower its shared data plans to prices below those offered by other national carriers starting on Friday.
The U.S. government wants to force cars to talk to each other over wireless networks, saying that could save more than 1,000 lives every year.
At a time of growing concern about the security of interconnected devices in homes, a startup aims to provide consumers with a type of network security system traditionally used by businesses.
Intel has agreed to acquire for $650 million in cash a networking business and related assets from Avago Technologies, the companies said Wednesday.
Cisco Systems will cut as many as 6,000 jobs over the next 12 months, saying it needs to shift resources to growing businesses such as cloud, software and security.
Cisco Systems posted fiscal fourth-quarter revenue and earnings that were roughly flat from a year earlier as the company works through what Chairman and CEO John Chambers called "a tough environment."
The Internet of Things is still too hard. Even some of its biggest backers say so.
The "Internet of things" won't be built overnight, but vendors are now stepping in to give enterprises a helping hand.
Ubuntu's included NetworkManager software aims to make your network connections "just work." Nevertheless, sometimes thing go awry.A There are times you have to adjust or change your connection settings, especially when using a laptop--justA likeA inA Windows.
The people at a company called aiia (their Web site loads insanely slowly) out of the Ukraine pitched me the SSSSSpeaker (yes, that's how they spell it, it's not a a typo), billed as the world's smallest Bluetooth speaker, and sent me a unit.
Borrowing from public cloud architecture and technologies, the private cloud weaves a new management layer around virtualized data center systems
A couple of weeks ago I wrote about Automatic, a dongle that plugs into your car's OBD-II connector and sends data about your car's performance and your driving via Bluetooth LE to an app on your iOS or Android smartphone.
Bad relationships are bound to happen from time to time. In the workplace, they are typically based on fear and insecurity. However, you can repair them with a little work. Here are three things you do always, sometimes and never do.
New York's plan to turn pay phones into free Wi-Fi stations could be a template for other cities, and bad news for IT departments trying to protect corporate data and intellectual property.
Redirected Net searches, unexpected installs, rogue mouse pointers: Here's what to do when you've been 0wned
Soni Jiandani is one of Cisco's serial entrepreneurs, having been a key member of the teams that developed everything from the Nexus 5000 to Cisco's Unified Computing System (which in five years has leapt to the top of the x86 blade server market in North America, according to IDC). Today Jiandani is Senior Vice President of Cisco's Insieme business unit, the group pushing the company's Software Defined Networking vision. Network World Editor in Chief John Dix caught with Jiandani to get her take on how SDN plays out.
Few security executives at global enterprises--or even at smaller organizations--have not had to deal with issues related to social media, mobile technology, big data/analytics, or cloud computing.
There are many times when your iPhone camera flash just isn't up for the job. Either you need light from a different angle (ever notice how phone-based flashes tend to wash out the subject?) or you need a warmer or cooler flash than your iPhone provides. You, my friend, might be interested in the Nova, a Bluetooth LE flash.
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Why Dell PowerEdge VRTX for ROBO and Small Offices
- Remote and branch offices, as well as small business, often have the dilemma of balancing office productivity with the complexity of providing IT...
- Achieve Deeper Network Security and Application Control
- Next-generation firewalls (NGFWs) have emerged to revolutionize network security as we once knew it. Yet to safeguard an organization from today's ever-evolving threats,...
- It's Who You Know: CDW + CISCO Unified Communications and Collaboration
- When it comes to unified communications and collaboration, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why we partner with...
- How to Modernize Your IT Infrastructure & Streamline Operations
- Increasing line of business demands? Shrinking IT budget? See how Red Hat can help you meet growing.
- Remote Access Your Users Will Love
- Remote access is quickly becoming a regular part of work for more and more people. By making user experience a top priority, here... All Networking White Papers
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>>
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your...
- Exploring Network Management Challenges and the Benefits of Outsourcing New research conducted by IDG explores the network management challenges that IT and telecom leaders face and how they are dealing with them....
- Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- All Networking Webcasts