More Smartphones News
Android smartphones and tablets now get the most mobile ad traffic worldwide, but iPhones and iPads still get 52% of the revenue.
Installment plans for cellphones are starting to squeeze out the time-honored practice of paying a subsidized price up front, AT&T says.
Apple is expected Wednesday to confirm Wall Street's fears, that iPad sales growth not only slackened in the March quarter, but reversed course with fewer of the iconic tablets sold than the year before.
U.S. iPhone and iPad sales skewed more toward devices with less storage space in the March quarter compared to the final three-month period of 2013.
Alibaba's Tmall and Taobao sites already sell everything from clothes and furniture to car tires and medicines. But soon they'll also be offering 3G data and voice call plans as well, the Chinese e-commerce giant said Thursday.
Users of the new Kindle for Samsung app will get up to 12 e-books for free a year, as Samsung Electronics joins forces with Amazon.com to boost the content on its mobile devices.
Ahead of the big New York Auto Show, several car companies today displayed in-vehicle infotainment systems that connect to smartphones to use mobile apps, music playlists, calling features and calendars.
The digital divide isn't some esoteric, policy-wonk concept to Michael Liiamatta, president of Connecting for Good, a nonprofit IT support group based in Kansas City, Mo.
Typo halted the sale of its add-on keyboard for the iPhone on Tuesday after an injunction took effect that bans it from being imported to the U.S.
For a potentially revolutionary smartphone, it wasn't the best start.
The idea of an Amazon smartphone, reportedly in the works for a September release, may seem far-fetched or foolhardy but isn't that big a stretch for the ambitious shopping, device and content giant.
Apple outlined for the first time on Friday how it came up with the US$2.2 billion in damages that it wants a California jury to award it for Samsung's alleged "massive infringement" of five Apple patents.
Apple began to lay out its $2.2 billion damages claim against Samsung Electronics for the first time on Tuesday, arguing to an eight-person jury in California that Samsung's alleged patent infringement was large and significantly damaged Apple.
The roots of the iPhone can probably be traced to many corners of Apple's campus in Cupertino, Calif., but a Silicon Valley courtroom on Friday heard how some of the phone's most recognizable software design features were born of a team working in a dark, dirty, windowless room with special security to keep others out.
That didn't take long. The jury has only been sitting a day in the latest Apple v. Samsung patent battle and lawyers are already fighting about what's being said in court.
The options are increasing for people who want an LTE smartphone, but don't want to spend a fortune or sign an expensive contract. Two new alternatives that won't drain wallets are Nokia's Lumia 635 and the Huawei-made Kestrel.
Nokia announced three new Lumia smartphones on Wednesday that will run the just-announced Windows Phone 8.1 OS, including a Lumia 630 with a dual 3G SIM variant that will cost $169.
Microsoft unveiled Windows Phone 8.1 on Wednesday, and confirmed reports that the new OS includes Microsoft's first voice-activated digital assistant, called Cortana.
Apple is said to be in talks with Renesas Electronics to buy its majority-owned joint venture that designs chips for smartphone displays.
Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller took a California courtroom on a trip back to 2007 on Tuesday afternoon, recalling how Apple 'bet the company' on development of the iPhone
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits
- This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage
- Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About
- As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business
- View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine... All Smartphones White Papers
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control.
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- All Smartphones Webcasts