More Laptops News
Apple sold 4.4 million Macs in the June quarter, the most ever for that three-month stretch, with an annual growth rate the rest of the PC industry hasn't seen since 2010.
Apple reported its quarterly numbers on Tuesday, a mixed bag that saw profits rise up but sales fall short of the mark. Here are five takeaways from the earnings call that followed.
Apple has racked up another hugely profitable quarter on sales of iPhones and Macintosh computers, though its revenue growth was slower than expected.
Intel wants your future laptop to be thinner than an iPad and, like the iconic tablet, to be wire free. And it should cost less too.
Microsoft's COO says his company and its army of OEMs will compete on price with Google's Chromebooks, a milestone in Microsoft's battle against the encroaching enemy.
Upgrades from Windows XP PCs to newer computers during the second quarter perked up the PC market, which inched closer to positive quarterly shipment growth.
Microsoft has launched a buyback program to try to get MacBook Air owners to part with their laptops and replace them with new Surface Pro 3 devices.
Microsoft today kicked off retail sales of the Surface Pro 3, the 2-in-1 device touted by the company as a notebook replacement.
PC convertibles are not new, but Toshiba is releasing one that can change into seven different forms, thanks to its attachable keyboard and a 360-degree hinge.
The PCI technology that's served PCs and servers well for decades is learning to get by on less power so it can play in mobile devices and the Internet of Things.
The skies have brightened slightly since March for the beleaguered PC, with sales now likely to fall by just 6 percent this year, according to research company IDC.
Taiwanese PC maker Asus has added laptop to the forms that its latest Transformer phone-tablet hybrid can adopt -- potentially taunting Microsoft and Google once again with the device's ability to run both Windows and Android.
Acer's "Build Your Own Cloud" service will start rolling out to consumers in late June with a suite of updated apps that will work on mobile devices and PCs, including devices from other companies.
Google has extended its guaranteed support for Chrome OS on vendors' Chromebooks to five years, adding a year of support to nearly every device.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella pushed the need for blending tablets and notebooks at the unveiling of the Surface Pro 3, countering earlier arguments by Apple CEO Tim Cook that the trade-offs from such devices don't please anybody.
Lenovo's net profit grew 25 percent year-over-year in the first quarter as the Chinese company continued to make gains in the PC and smartphone markets.
Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 would be a good tablet to replace my laptop, but at $799 to start, it's just too expensive.
Dell is making updates to its Android-based, thumb-size PC called Wyse Cloud Connect -- widely known as Project Ophelia -- as the company moves to make the stick computer suitable for consumers.
The global decline in sales of laptops and desktops is expected to continue in 2014 -- and Gartner envisions another decline of nearly 5% in 2015
Tablet sales are slowing, forcing sellers and potential buyers alike to confront confusion over which device to buy.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance
- Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD
- If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics
- "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World
- Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- Top 3 Myths about Big Data Security : Debunking common misconceptions about big data security
- Big data represents massive business possibilities and competitive advantage for organizations that are able to harness and use that information. But how are... All Laptops White Papers
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- All Laptops Webcasts