More Big Data News
The R programming language is quickly gaining popularity over the traditional statistics packages such as SPSS, SAS and MATLAB, at least according to one data statistician who teaches the language.
Comparing commercial Hadoop big data-styled analysis systems might get a little easier, thanks to a new benchmark from the Transaction Processing Performance Council (TPC).
SAP has relaxed hardware requirements for using its Hana in-memory database platform for development and testing, in a move that could make existing Hana customers' operations easier and less expensive while also generating more Hana sales.
Google has found a way to stretch a data warehouse across multiple data centers, using an architecture its engineers developed that could pave the way for much larger, more reliable and more responsive cloud-based analysis systems.
Using souped-up fiber, the Technical University of Denmark has set a new record for transmitting data over one channel: 43 terabits per second.
Oracle has responded to a former employee's claim that a new in-memory processing option is turned on by default with the latest release of Database 12c, insisting that the process of enabling it requires a series of deliberate steps.
In the hot market for big-data products and services, sometimes even competitors must work together for the common good.
Hewlett-Packard is betting $50 million that its customers will find value in the Hadoop data processing platform by investing in Hadoop distributor Hortonworks.
Oracle is combining its BlueKai consumer data aggregation platform with other parts of its catalog to create Oracle Data Cloud, a data-as-a-service offering aimed at companies that want to reach customers and prospects across multiple channels.
Teradata has bought the assets of Revelytix and Hadapt in a bid to grow out its capabilities for the Hadoop big-data processing framework.
A U.S. senator has asked the Federal Trade Commission to scrutinize the use of big data by Facebook and other Internet companies, following a controversy over a Facebook experiment on some of its users.
Michelin is using Microstrategy software to provide analytics and vizualisation capabilities as part of a big data strategy to improve the efficiency of its supply chain and manufacturing processes.
Hoping to win new business and build loyalty among existing customers, business intelligence software vendor MicroStrategy has broadly revamped its pricing and packaging structure.
Companies are focusing more and more attention on building out big data analytics capabilities and data scientists are feeling the pressure.
Oracle is selling $10 billion in bonds, in a move that could signal the vendor is planning to ramp up its already steady pace of acquisitions.
Taking on Google, Databricks plans to offer its own cloud service for analyzing live data streams, one based on the Apache Spark software.
When it comes to big data, many enterprises are getting slammed with big problems. Google plans to focus on helping those companies over the next year.
Oracle's pending acquisition of retail and hospitality technology vendor Micros is its biggest since scooping up Sun Microsystems in 2010, which begs questions about why it's willing to pay so much.
The first bar code was used in 1974 to scan in a pack of gum. Now they're used for everything from flight check-ins to patient records and warehouse inventory. They've even been used to track bees. Yes, bees.
Katharine, a 14-foot electronically tagged white shark, has become so popular with visitors to a shark-tracking site that she's now routinely crashing servers.
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- CIOs strive to harness Big Data while keeping an eye on the bottom line
- Read this whitepaper to learn how Red Hat Storage Server allows CIOs to confidently support business growth, manage cost and risk, capitalize on...
- Server and system administrators challenged to keep up with enterprise storage explosion
- Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- A Modern Approach to the Data Deluge
- Read this whitepaper to learn how infrastructure leaders can confidently manage cost, complexity, and risk, capitalize on emerging technologies, and drive future innovation...
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications
- Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- Administrators need an agile platform to usher the new era of enterprise storage
- Read this whitepaper and learn how administrators are keeping up by guiding their enterprises toward new, software-defined storage platforms that simplify and unify... All Big Data White Papers
- Big Data in the Mainstream: Insights for Everyone, Everywhere In this Webcast you will learn why small data is important and how to embed insights into CRM and HRMS applications to reach...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Improved Data-centric Application Development and Hadoop Operations with BMC and Hortonworks Join this webinar to hear from BMC and Hortonworks how their combined solutions help customers unlock the value of Big Data by implementing...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- All Big Data Webcasts