More Consumerization of IT News
Five music labels have filed a lawsuit against streaming music service Pandora Music, saying the company is violating state law by refusing to pay labels and artists for its use of recordings made before 1972.
Users of the new Kindle for Samsung app will get up to 12 e-books for free a year, as Samsung Electronics joins forces with Amazon.com to boost the content on its mobile devices.
Smartwatches for use on AT&T's network will be out this year, a company executive said Wednesday.
Ahead of the big New York Auto Show, several car companies today displayed in-vehicle infotainment systems that connect to smartphones to use mobile apps, music playlists, calling features and calendars.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 comes with an "astronomical" cost for materials of $251.52 for the 32 GB version, according to a teardown estimate by IHS Technology.
IPTV is being added to lower priced bundles by digital TV providers to lure in a younger generation of subscribers and give the market a needed boost after years of declining subscriptions.
One of the first laptops with a 4K screen will go on sale from Toshiba for $1,499.99 next week.
The old wisdom that "first-to-market" technology products will win out gets thrown out the window when it comes to smartwatches and some other wearables.
Not one of the approximately 8,000 Google Glass Explorers but wish you were? If so, today is the day pick up a pair, but there are a few things you should know.
Some Wall Street analysts are warning that Apple needs to unveil its post-iPhone and iPad products to assure it can survive and thrive in the years ahead.
If you've been waiting impatiently to get a pair of Google Glass, mark your calendar and grab your checkbook.
Wearable computers "took a huge step forward" in 2013 and shipments of smartwatches and related devices will grow by 78% a year until 2018, IDC said Thursday.
The Micro is being touted by its inventors as the first true mainstream 3D printer; apparently, people donating to the Kickstarter project agree.
A power problem caused a widespread outage on AT&T's U-verse broadband service Monday that some customers said affected both TV and Internet service.
Raspberry Pi -- popular for its $25 PC -- plans later this year to ship new hardware in the form of a smaller board that plugs into a custom motherboard slot, which could appeal to a new audience of makers, enthusiasts and enterprise users.
It's already started, with a refrigerator that sent out email spam. The Internet of Things trend shows how even a benign consumer appliance could pose a danger to enterprises if connected to the Internet without proper security.
BlackBerry is promoting an upcoming end-to-end encrypted messaging service called BBM Protected for industries that need the highest levels of security.
Nest, the connected-home device maker Google agreed to buy in January, is disabling a feature that allows its Nest Protect smoke and carbon-monoxide alarm to be silenced with a wave of the hand.
Home routers and other consumer embedded devices are plagued by basic vulnerabilities and can't be easily secured by non-technical users, which means they'll likely continue to be targeted in what has already become an increasing trend of mass attacks.
Microsoft teased a touch-first Office for Windows 8.1, but contrary to many experts' expectations, previewed only one app and declined to define a release window.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success
- Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Drive Business Growth with the Right Social Media Tools
- With social media taking an increasingly important role in business, CIOs have an opportunity before them: Demonstrate their ability to evolve by facilitating...
- Marketing Analytics Handbook: Marketing ROI for the Mobile Workforce
- Mobility is redefining marketing analytics capabilities. This Marketing Analytics Handbook demonstrates how 24/7 visibility into marketing ROI and other KPIs make real-time analysis...
- Infor Epiphany Solution Overview
- Infor Epiphany leads the way in enabling enterprises to deliver more timely and relevant messages and create longer lasting and more valuable customer...
- Drive Customer Experience with Actionable Social CRM
- Social media has added another digital channel to customer relationship management. The impact of social media requires organizations to combine social media interactions... All Consumerization of IT White Papers
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- How to Protect Enterprise Data Yet Enable Secure Access for End Users Learn how BYOD, Big Data and the use of rogue applications and devices is putting corporate data at risk, best practices from IT...
- All Consumerization of IT Webcasts