Skip the navigation

More Operating Systems In Depth

13 pieces of advice for Yosemite beta testers

For the first time since 2000, Apple is allowing pubic beta testers to try out a prerelease version of OS X. Ryan Faas tells testers what to do and what to avoid.

Two New Apps That Can Help Save You Money (Seriously)

Looking to spend less dough on stuff you want or need? I've got two new, free apps that can help.

OutSider App Tells You When the Weather is Right for Running

The folks at The Weather Channel have come up with another cool app,A OutSider, that's designed for weather geeks who are also runners, walkers, hikers and/or cyclists.

Getting started with Microsoft Azure RemoteApp

There are several deployment choices, but none is overly complex to set up.

How-to: Get started with Docker

Docker makes virtualization light, easy, and portable; follow this step-by-step guide from installing Docker to building a Docker container for the Apache Web server

Using Enlightenment as desktop environment

Over the last few months I've been living, quite happily, with GNOME Shell as the Desktop Environment on my Linux machines. Then, recently, I gave Enlightenment another try. I was blown away by how impressive it was (and, more importantly, how interesting it was).

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols: Give us the Windows 8 Start menu and no one will get hurt

It's looking like Microsoft won't be bringing back the Start menu until 2015. Way to put the customer first, Microsoft!

Review: Microsoft Office Online vs. Apple iWork for iCloud vs. Google Drive

Online word processors, spreadsheets, and presentation apps can be surprisingly useful, or surprisingly lame, and not even Microsoft aces Office document compatibility

Preston Gralla: Memo to Nadella: Copy IBM

Microsoft's situation in 2014 is eerily similar to IBM's in the late 1980s, and it can save itself the same way.

Apple's Continuity tack brings ubiquitous computing to Yosemite and iOS 8

At this year's WWDC, Apple showcased a variety of new technologies under the Continuity umbrella that take device communication to a more sophisticated level. Users are the winners, says columnist Michael deAgonia.

At WWDC, continuity across devices is the theme

Apple's "Continuity" initiative is all about using the right device for the right task at the right moment and shifting between those devices seamlessly. Columnist Ryan Faas explains.

Is the PC Dead? Not at Dell, Which Is Doubling Down

For Dell, reports of the personal computer's death have been greatly exaggerated. In fact, the company's seeing good growth from its PC and thin client lines. Credit new designs, higher screen resolutions, a program for helping users migrate from Windows XP -- and a steadfast refusal to believe the hype about the death of the PC.

Surface Pro 3 deep-dive review: Has Microsoft finally got it right?

Microsoft's new Surface Pro 3 is supposed to work as both a tablet and a laptop. After working with it for a week, does our reviewer agree?

WWDC preview: For Apple, it's all about platforms now

Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference is the company's one big chance to talk up hardware, operating systems and services -- and explain where Apple is headed. Ryan Faas explains what to look for on Monday.

WWDC 2014

Continuing coverage of Apple's WWDC 2014

Have operating system, will travel: How to run virtual machines from a flash drive

Most of the time, one operating system per computer is enough. But on occasion, you might want to boot up a second operating system for security reasons, testing purposes, or compatibility with specific software. Technical details typically restrict that alternate OS to a single PC, however. You can only install an OS in a single location after all.

Jack Gold: Microsoft re-Surfaces the Pro, for the enterprise

The enhancements in the Surface Pro 3 are aimed straight at the enterprise.

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols: Windows 8.1 Update 1, now with less annoyance

After trying Update 1 for the last few weeks, the best I can say for it is that it sucks less.

Tails 1.0: A bootable Linux distro that protects your privacy

Whatever your primary OS, Linux distro Tails 1.0 offers a plethora of security features to help you work online without worrying about privacy issues.

5 Twitter clients for Linux

Linux users who want to avoid browser-based Twitter apps can try out these five local clients -- including one that still uses a command-line interface.