Mobile Apps Topic Center
Mobile app news, in-depth articles and more
Microsoft's voice-activated digital assistant Cortana is coming to China in a beta version nicknamed 'Xiao Na,' as part of several new functions packed into a Windows Phone 8.1 update.
Twitter more than doubled its sales in the second quarter, the company reported Tuesday, showing a strong advertising business.
Uber and Airbnb, which have already proved popular with travelers and urbanites with smartphones, have unveiled new features and links to other services designed to attract more business users.
Ericsson plans to acquire MetraTech, a vendor of billing systems based on metadata, as service providers eye new services using the Internet of Things.
A configuration problem in Facebook's popular Instagram application for Apple devices could allow a hacker to hijack a person's account if they're both on the same public Wi-Fi network.
If you like to send messages via Facebook when you're on the move, get ready to download a new app.
The organizers of the FirstNet LTE public safety network have the frequencies and standards they need to build the system, and they know where the money's coming from. They know how to get there from here, but it won't be a quick trip.
During an earnings call this week, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella repeatedly promoted Lumia smartphones running on the Windows Phone platform. The call was just five days after the company announced a record 18,000 layoffs that raised concerns about Microsoft's long-term commitment to its phones.
Facebook reported Wednesday that it now handles an average of more than 1 billion searches a day, but it still has work to do to provide a comprehensive search tool.
A majority of AT&T's new smartphone customers are now choosing a plan where they pay for their phones over time, helping to drive strong second-quarter financial results, the carrier said.
In their quest to copy competitors, social sites and apps increasingly drop features that are part of the popularity and identity of their products, says columnist Mike Elgan.
You know those cat pictures you keep sharing on social media sites? They may reveal more about you than your love of felines.
The humble lockscreen is about to become the most important interface on your smartphone, says columnist Mike Elgan.
One thing is clear about the Apple-IBM partnership: It will change the dynamic of the enterprise mobility market in significant ways.
CIOs with an eye on mobility have probably spent a small fortune creating a private enterprise app store. They've spent countless hours tending to an environment where business managers plant seeds for app ideas and developers bring those ideas to fruition. Often, the number of mobile enterprise apps sprouts like weeds.
You may not be an AT&T or Verizon wireless customer, but part of your monthly cell phone bill likely winds up in their coffers. That's because the two mobile giants charge sky-high roaming rates when competitors' customers access the AT&T and Verizon networks as they travel out of range of their smaller networks.
There are several deployment choices, but none is overly complex to set up.
Will your choice of phablet determine the mobile ecosystem you get locked into for health and fitness tracking, automobile navigation and home entertainment?
Facebook has launched a new photo- and video-sharing app called Slingshot that's aimed squarely at popular cool-kid Snapchat.
Amazon launched Prime Music, a streaming music service with more than a million tunes, zero ads, and zero cost to Amazon Prime subscribers.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile
- You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy
- In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps
- Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments
- This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight
- Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's... All Mobile Apps White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Mobile Apps Webcasts