Mobile Apps Topic Center
Mobile app news, in-depth articles and more
Apple will integrate music identification technology created by Shazam into the next version of iOS, but could go much further than simple song naming.
Emergency room physicians at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center are four months into a pilot program where they are using Google's computerized eyeglasses to help treat patients.
Facebook now has its own take on location sharing -- an optional feature that periodically broadcasts people's locations to their friends.
Smartwatches for use on AT&T's network will be out this year, a company executive said Wednesday.
IPTV is being added to lower priced bundles by digital TV providers to lure in a younger generation of subscribers and give the market a needed boost after years of declining subscriptions.
SAP user groups are stepping up pressure on the vendor over the fees charged for its user-friendly Fiori applications, saying they should be included as part of the substantial annual maintenance costs customers already pay, particularly given SAP's dismal track record with interfaces for its Business Suite ERP software.
Websites that use encryption could be elevated in Google search results sometime in the future, according to The Wall Street Journal.
The idea of an Amazon smartphone, reportedly in the works for a September release, may seem far-fetched or foolhardy but isn't that big a stretch for the ambitious shopping, device and content giant.
Independent Oracle and SAP support provider Rimini Street will now offer integration services for customers who want to adopt SaaS (software-as-a-service) offerings from the likes of Salesforce.com and Workday.
Google is boosting Android security safeguards to better detect potentially harmful apps throughout their life cycle.
Companies are engaged in a kind of arms race with competitors to see how many apps they can get everyone to use. But this aggressive push for more apps is going to end up giving users app fatigue.
What IDC deems the third platform of computing -- social, mobile, cloud and big data -- is transforming IT much faster than the first (mainframe) or second (client/server) platforms ever did. This has tremendous implications for the IT industry, yes, but also for anyone doing business in today's world.
The evidence keeps mounting that companies that put out mobile apps are not paying nearly enough attention to security. Even big companies with large and experienced IT staffs are guilty.
Now that Microsoft has made OneNote free for consumers, can it compete with the well-known Evernote? Preston Gralla offers his take on both.
Just because your website can be viewed on a mobile device doesn't make it mobile-friendly. To find out how to ensure your mobile customers have a positive experience, follow these suggestions from mobile experts and Web design and development pros.
A variety of projects unveiled in the past year aim to give mobile apps the ability to instantly detect a person's emotional state.
Are iPhones used primarily by more mature mobile users who crave ease of use? Are Android phones more popular among the young, techie and cost-conscious? CIO.com's Tom Kaneshige has discovered there are no simple answers.
The world of fast food is getting faster -- and redefining the future of mobile payments. Just look at what Taco Bell and Chipotle are doing.
Broadcom got a jump on Mobile World Congress this week, announcing two steps forward in its fledgling LTE silicon business. On Monday, the company introduced a turnkey solution for LTE smartphones to be priced under US$300. On Tuesday, it announced a test, on a live carrier network in Finland, of a high-end handset chip that can use so-called Category 6 LTE with speeds as high as 300Mbps (bits per second).
Sometimes even a tablet is too much trouble to tote. These Android smartphone e-reader apps will make it easy to enjoy your favorite book wherever you go.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms
- As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform
- Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight
- IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility
- Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Top 3 Iron-Clad Reasons Why File Sync/Share is Not Endpoint Backup
- Employees unknowingly create corporate data security risks by adopting these easy-to-use, personal applications. Read this executive brief to learn more. All Mobile Apps White Papers
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- All Mobile Apps Webcasts