Smartphones Topic Center
Read reviews, news, in-depth analysis, management tips and more about smartphones
Users of the new Kindle for Samsung app will get up to 12 e-books for free a year, as Samsung Electronics joins forces with Amazon.com to boost the content on its mobile devices.
Ahead of the big New York Auto Show, several car companies today displayed in-vehicle infotainment systems that connect to smartphones to use mobile apps, music playlists, calling features and calendars.
The digital divide isn't some esoteric, policy-wonk concept to Michael Liiamatta, president of Connecting for Good, a nonprofit IT support group based in Kansas City, Mo.
Typo halted the sale of its add-on keyboard for the iPhone on Tuesday after an injunction took effect that bans it from being imported to the U.S.
For a potentially revolutionary smartphone, it wasn't the best start.
The idea of an Amazon smartphone, reportedly in the works for a September release, may seem far-fetched or foolhardy but isn't that big a stretch for the ambitious shopping, device and content giant.
Apple outlined for the first time on Friday how it came up with the US$2.2 billion in damages that it wants a California jury to award it for Samsung's alleged "massive infringement" of five Apple patents.
Apple began to lay out its $2.2 billion damages claim against Samsung Electronics for the first time on Tuesday, arguing to an eight-person jury in California that Samsung's alleged patent infringement was large and significantly damaged Apple.
The roots of the iPhone can probably be traced to many corners of Apple's campus in Cupertino, Calif., but a Silicon Valley courtroom on Friday heard how some of the phone's most recognizable software design features were born of a team working in a dark, dirty, windowless room with special security to keep others out.
That didn't take long. The jury has only been sitting a day in the latest Apple v. Samsung patent battle and lawyers are already fighting about what's being said in court.
Samsung's Galaxy S5 Android phone follows a very popular predecessor, but the latest version doesn't stand out in a sea of thoughtfully designed competitors.
JR Raphael compares the images from a Samsung Galaxy S5 camera to an HTC One (M8) camera.
HTC is working to bring a sense of luxury to its smartphones -- and with its new HTC One (M8), it's closer than ever to delivering the ultimate high-end device.
And what is going to have to happen before we see that we must set the smartest minds on coming up with newer, safer and less complicated security methods?
You can shoot some great videos with your Android smartphone, but can you edit them? We review five apps that represent the best video editing options available on the platform today.
Google has unveiled what is almost certainly the most interesting phone of the year. It's part of Project Tango
The smartphone giant's troubles are deeper than its big drop in quarterly profits.
The new LG G Flex Android smartphone has a curved design, flexible body, and 'self-healing' skin. Does that make a difference in real-world use?
By selling Motorola Mobility to Lenovo, Google is ending a combination that never really worked out while keeping assets that could prove valuable down the road.
We all love getting new gadgets, but what to do with the old ones? Here are 18 superb ways to put your old Android phone or tablet to good use.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era
- From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs
- If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Computing eGuide
- In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read... All Smartphones White Papers
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- How to Protect Enterprise Data Yet Enable Secure Access for End Users Learn how BYOD, Big Data and the use of rogue applications and devices is putting corporate data at risk, best practices from IT...
- All Smartphones Webcasts