More Laptops In Depth
Hybrids -- laptops whose displays detach to become tablets -- were designed to allow users to have one device with many uses. But do they work as advertised? We talked to some users to find out.
When you're running a large-scale simulation or editing a professional video, you need more computing power than most laptops can give. In this roundup, we review three high-powered Windows mobile workstations.
Could the Chromebook knock out Windows on the desktop? Don't bet against it.
Apple's newest 15-in. MacBook Pro looks just like last year's model but delivers on faster performance and solid battery life, says columnist Michael deAgonia.
Mike Elgan traveled over three continents in the past 18 months and has these tips for staying connected, keeping powered up and protecting your valuable gadgets from theft.
When it comes to style, the new model looks exactly like its predecessor. This year's changes are all beneath the surface -- and are uniformly good, says Michael deAgonia.
Apple's newest MacBook Air uses Intel's latest Haswell chip and promises "all-day" battery life. Columnist Michael deAgonia offers up some early thoughts on Apple's stylish ultra-thin laptop.
The new super high-resolution screens bring beauty, clarity and precision to our work and play, writes columnist Mike Elgan. Are they worth the extra money? Definitely.
Columnist Mike Elgan spent three weeks using only Google products -- the Chromebook Pixel laptop, the Nexus 10 tablet and the Nexus 4 smartphone. Here's what he discovered.
A deep-dive review of Google's new Chromebook Pixel laptop, which has high-quality hardware and an amazing touch-based display -- and a few limitations. So at $1,300, is it the laptop for you?
With Windows 8, Microsoft is betting that users want to touch the screen in place of using a mouse or touchpad. Apple has famously declared the opposite. What do you think?
Is a touch display on a laptop user-friendly or an annoying productivity-killer? Computerworld editors hash it out.
Hundreds and hundreds of products are released for the Mac each year. A few products truly stand out as impressive examples of quality, value, and innovation. These are the products that we recognize with an Editors' Choice Award.
A crop of ultrabooks is being introduced for the new Windows 8 operating system. We examine the HP Envy TouchSmart, Sony Vaio T13 and Toshiba Portege Z935 to see how they shape up.
Need some help choosing holiday presents for the technology fans on your gift list? We've rounded up this year's best tech gifts, from tablets and HDTVs to smartphones, laptops and an array of other gadgets and accessories.
You can never have too much digital storage, and the day will come--sooner than you think--when you won't be able to squeeze a single new file onto your computer's hard drive. And if your primary computer is a laptop or an all-in-one desktop, you won't be able to solve the problem by opening the case and tossing in a supplemental drive.
If you travel to China or Russia, assume government or industry spooks will steal your data and install spyware. Here's how to thwart them
Some laptops will be on sale for under US$200 from U.S. retailers like Best Buy and Wal-Mart this week. But what do you get in such inexpensive machines?
After spending some time with Apple's new 13-in MacBook Pro with a Retina display, columnist Michael deAgonia is ready to dump his 15-in. laptop for good.
Pretty much every tech company -- Apple, Microsoft, Google and more -- wants your data and your programs under their control and running on their machines, not yours.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era
- From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs
- If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Computing eGuide
- In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read... All Laptops White Papers
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- All Laptops Webcasts