More Laptops In Depth
All laptops run on batteries and all batteries eventually run out -- especially when you use your device throughout the day. Here are some tips to help keep it going.
Samsung's Chromebook 2 has a distinctive design and a roomy 1080p display, but it also has some meaningful drawbacks compared to other devices.
Hybrids -- laptops whose displays detach to become tablets -- were designed to allow users to have one device with many uses. But do they work as advertised? We talked to some users to find out.
When you're running a large-scale simulation or editing a professional video, you need more computing power than most laptops can give. In this roundup, we review three high-powered Windows mobile workstations.
Could the Chromebook knock out Windows on the desktop? Don't bet against it.
Apple's newest 15-in. MacBook Pro looks just like last year's model but delivers on faster performance and solid battery life, says columnist Michael deAgonia.
Mike Elgan traveled over three continents in the past 18 months and has these tips for staying connected, keeping powered up and protecting your valuable gadgets from theft.
When it comes to style, the new model looks exactly like its predecessor. This year's changes are all beneath the surface -- and are uniformly good, says Michael deAgonia.
Apple's newest MacBook Air uses Intel's latest Haswell chip and promises "all-day" battery life. Columnist Michael deAgonia offers up some early thoughts on Apple's stylish ultra-thin laptop.
The new super high-resolution screens bring beauty, clarity and precision to our work and play, writes columnist Mike Elgan. Are they worth the extra money? Definitely.
Columnist Mike Elgan spent three weeks using only Google products -- the Chromebook Pixel laptop, the Nexus 10 tablet and the Nexus 4 smartphone. Here's what he discovered.
A deep-dive review of Google's new Chromebook Pixel laptop, which has high-quality hardware and an amazing touch-based display -- and a few limitations. So at $1,300, is it the laptop for you?
With Windows 8, Microsoft is betting that users want to touch the screen in place of using a mouse or touchpad. Apple has famously declared the opposite. What do you think?
Is a touch display on a laptop user-friendly or an annoying productivity-killer? Computerworld editors hash it out.
Hundreds and hundreds of products are released for the Mac each year. A few products truly stand out as impressive examples of quality, value, and innovation. These are the products that we recognize with an Editors' Choice Award.
A crop of ultrabooks is being introduced for the new Windows 8 operating system. We examine the HP Envy TouchSmart, Sony Vaio T13 and Toshiba Portege Z935 to see how they shape up.
Need some help choosing holiday presents for the technology fans on your gift list? We've rounded up this year's best tech gifts, from tablets and HDTVs to smartphones, laptops and an array of other gadgets and accessories.
You can never have too much digital storage, and the day will come--sooner than you think--when you won't be able to squeeze a single new file onto your computer's hard drive. And if your primary computer is a laptop or an all-in-one desktop, you won't be able to solve the problem by opening the case and tossing in a supplemental drive.
If you travel to China or Russia, assume government or industry spooks will steal your data and install spyware. Here's how to thwart them
Some laptops will be on sale for under US$200 from U.S. retailers like Best Buy and Wal-Mart this week. But what do you get in such inexpensive machines?
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage
- Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- The Forrester Wave™: File Sync And Share Platforms, Q3 2013
- Download this Analyst report to read why IBM SmartCloud for Social Business was cited as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: File Sync...
- Brunswick Case Study
- By implementing IBM SmartCloud services, Brunswick estimates that it avoided hundreds of thousands of dollars in capital expenditures, and is saving up to...
- Energizing Life's Work
- If your life's work is about caring for people in a business context, the latest digital and social innovations from IBM can help...
- Become a Social Business in the Cloud
- Read this solution brief to see how using IBM SmartCloud for Social Business services to become a social business can help your organization... All Laptops White Papers
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- All Laptops Webcasts