PCs Topic Center
Trends, news, reviews and more about PCs
The looming threat of running an unsupported OS wasn't enough to save PC shipments from continuing their slide in the first quarter.
Raspberry Pi -- popular for its $25 PC -- plans later this year to ship new hardware in the form of a smaller board that plugs into a custom motherboard slot, which could appeal to a new audience of makers, enthusiasts and enterprise users.
Intel is preparing a new 'Braswell' chip to succeed its power-efficient Bay Trail processor found in PCs besides working on bringing over 20 Chromebook designs to the market this year.
The global decline in sales of laptops and desktops is expected to continue in 2014 -- and Gartner envisions another decline of nearly 5% in 2015
Haswell, move over. Intel has provided an initial glimpse into the faster and more power-efficient fifth-generation Core processors code-named Broadwell, which will be in PCs during the second half of this year.
Confidence in the underlying strength of the tech sector as a whole appears to be solid despite some dispiriting news on the hardware front.
Shipments of new PCs, most of them equipped with Microsoft Windows, will decline more in 2014 than thought a few months ago, according to IDC.
Advanced Micro Devices' Sempron processor brand has polarized chip fans since its 2004 introduction in laptops, but a fresh batch of the processors is being targeted at its desktop fan base.
For the second month in a row, Windows XP and Windows 8 defied their maker's wishes, as XP gained user share, and Windows 8, the OS Microsoft hopes will fuel sales of new devices, flatlined in February.
Microsoft on Sunday publicly acknowledged what leaks had shown, that the company will issue an update to Windows 8.1 this spring that provides more tools for owners of traditional PCs controlled by mouse and keyboard.
If you're having a rough time with your Windows 8 computer, several options are available to smooth out the bumps
Microsoft appears to be backing off on its biggest user interface fiasco since Microsoft Bob: In the Windows 8.1 update, the desktop rather than Metro reportedly will be the default interface.
Rumors about Apple building a very large iPad have been unavoidable for seven months. But does a giant iPad make sense?
If you got a new smartphone, tablet or computer for the holidays, these Computerworld stories can help you get acquainted with new OSes, find great apps and accessories, safely dispose of your old devices and more.
Michael Dell and Silver Lake's decision to raise the offer to take Dell private is a concession that rival Carl Icahn and affiliate parties may have an upper hand in the wrangling to take over the company, observers of the deal said.
Matchbox computers -- small but powerful open-source devices -- are a good way to build your own system and/or carry it with you. We look at the phenomenon and offer a slideshow of examples.
Microsoft has everything it needs to beat Apple and Google and rule consumer electronics. What it lacks is the will to ship that technology to consumers and provide people with a compelling, breathtaking and wonderful vision of the future.
The School Board of Miami-Dade County, the 21st Century Achievement Award winner for philanthropy, helps provide low-income families with affordable computers and free digital literacy training.
We look at the Dell XPS 18 and the Sony Vaio Tap 20: Two all-in-ones that transform into large-scale tablets. Is this an alteration you can work with?
It's clear that hardware makers are experimenting far more with Windows devices than Apple is with the iPad. But that does that herald a revival of the PC?
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Security Technologies for Mobile and BYOD
- With so many security technologies available, how do you sort through the options and pick the solutions that will really work for your...
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era
- From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs
- If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity... All PCs White Papers
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- How to Protect Enterprise Data Yet Enable Secure Access for End Users Learn how BYOD, Big Data and the use of rogue applications and devices is putting corporate data at risk, best practices from IT...
- All PCs Webcasts