More Tablets In Depth
There's no question that today's Microsoft is a whole new company. Many of the changes announced under the leadership of CEO Satya Nadella were initiated under his predecessor, Steve Ballmer. But it's clear that it's a whole new Microsoft.
Get the latest from Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona: News, reviews and more
Don't be fooled by the company's rocky 2013. There are strong signs that it has turned the corner.
Rumors about Apple building a very large iPad have been unavoidable for seven months. But does a giant iPad make sense?
Getting Windows Phone 8 Update 3, and eventually Windows Phone 8.1, on phablets is one thing, but getting a foothold in the low-end tablet market is a bigger opportunity.
Mike Elgan traveled over three continents in the past 18 months and has these tips for staying connected, keeping powered up and protecting your valuable gadgets from theft.
Phablets (phones + tablets) need wearable devices to make them powerful and mainstream, as well as acceptable in business. Here's one company that understands this.
A lot more innovation is desperately needed for mobile hardware design and platforms. Are Apple, Google, Samsung and Microsoft up to the task?
Digital nomad Mike Elgan returns to the U.S. after 10 months of travel and shares these tips for working and living abroad.
Microsoft needs to make up its mind whether it wants to stay a software company or if it's really serious about being a hardware power as well.
Textbooks aren't available for e-readers, and the children's literature that is available generally can't be searched by reading level.
Microsoft delivers an ultrabook in the sleek guise of a tablet.
Computerworld reporters and bloggers bring you full coverage of CES 2013.
Microsoft's Surface RT tablet goes on sale on Friday, starting at $499 for a 32GB model. It seems to be a rough-and-tumble device.
Acer's CEO tells Microsoft to 'think twice' about building tablets because it's "not something you are good at." Columnist Mike Elgan says the CEO should think twice about his statement, because he is wrong.
A new tablet is announced every day, it seems. To keep you up to date, our sortable table gathers key info about the latest devices, including screen size, OS, price, ship date, connectivity options and more.
Forward-thinking tech execs are learning how to stop worrying and love the gadget, lest their business units attempt an end-run around IT. Insider (registration required)
Apple's new iPad arrived Friday and, given the popularity of early sales, will be showing up this week at an office near you.
As more and more iPads, iPhones and Android devices show up in the workplace -- the 'bring your own device' trend writ large -- IT shops have to figure out how to manage and secure them all. Columnist Ryan Faas has some advice. (Insider, registration required)
Some IT shops have formal enterprise deployment strategies that address everything from security to app delivery and support.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content
- Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network
- At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success
- Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development
- Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- Gartner MarketScope for Group Video Systems
- The Gartner "MarketScope for Group Video Systems" evaluates 7 group video system vendors based on 6 customer-focused criteria such as customer experience, market... All Tablets White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Tablets Webcasts