Tablets Topic Center
Tablet news, in-depth articles and more
Apple announced it sold 13.3 million iPads in the second quarter, a year-over-year drop of 9%, the second straight quarter of declining numbers, and blamed a slowdown in developed markets.
A researcher at Vanderbilt University has created a way to build nanowires just three atoms wide that could eventually lead to paper-thin, flexible tablets and smartphones.
Microsoft teased a touch-first Office for Windows 8.1, but contrary to many experts' expectations, previewed only one app and declined to define a release window.
Tablet sales are slowing, forcing sellers and potential buyers alike to confront confusion over which device to buy.
Microsoft's announcement today of a less expensive Office 365 subscription for consumers was the strongest hint yet that the company will soon offer an edition for Apple's iPad, an analyst said.
There is no shortage of tablet options on the market, and consumers have their choice of size. Which size tablet most appeals to you?
Numerous owners of Microsoft's Surface Pro 2 tablet said that their devices had received the long-awaited firmware update meant to fix problems introduced by a faulty December update
AT&T, making sure that auto makers don't get all the credit for the smart cars of the future, called attention to AT&T's wireless network that will connect cars to powerful apps, content and data on distant servers.
Microsoft support representatives have told Surface Pro 2 owners that a firmware update will be issued Jan. 14 to remedy multiple problems that cropped up after they installed a similar update a month ago.
Lower average selling prices for millions of new smartphones and tablets will help keep the global market for technology in 2014 at 1% below the levels of last year, according to the Consumer Electronics Association.
There's no question that today's Microsoft is a whole new company. Many of the changes announced under the leadership of CEO Satya Nadella were initiated under his predecessor, Steve Ballmer. But it's clear that it's a whole new Microsoft.
Get the latest from Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona: News, reviews and more
Don't be fooled by the company's rocky 2013. There are strong signs that it has turned the corner.
Rumors about Apple building a very large iPad have been unavoidable for seven months. But does a giant iPad make sense?
Getting Windows Phone 8 Update 3, and eventually Windows Phone 8.1, on phablets is one thing, but getting a foothold in the low-end tablet market is a bigger opportunity.
Mike Elgan traveled over three continents in the past 18 months and has these tips for staying connected, keeping powered up and protecting your valuable gadgets from theft.
Phablets (phones + tablets) need wearable devices to make them powerful and mainstream, as well as acceptable in business. Here's one company that understands this.
A lot more innovation is desperately needed for mobile hardware design and platforms. Are Apple, Google, Samsung and Microsoft up to the task?
Digital nomad Mike Elgan returns to the U.S. after 10 months of travel and shares these tips for working and living abroad.
Microsoft needs to make up its mind whether it wants to stay a software company or if it's really serious about being a hardware power as well.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Data Protection eGuide
- In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5
- This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms
- In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86
- Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye
- Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe. All Tablets White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Tablets Webcasts