Big Data Topic Center
Big data news, in-depth articles and more
The R programming language is quickly gaining popularity over the traditional statistics packages such as SPSS, SAS and MATLAB, at least according to one data statistician who teaches the language.
Comparing commercial Hadoop big data-styled analysis systems might get a little easier, thanks to a new benchmark from the Transaction Processing Performance Council (TPC).
SAP has relaxed hardware requirements for using its Hana in-memory database platform for development and testing, in a move that could make existing Hana customers' operations easier and less expensive while also generating more Hana sales.
Google has found a way to stretch a data warehouse across multiple data centers, using an architecture its engineers developed that could pave the way for much larger, more reliable and more responsive cloud-based analysis systems.
Using souped-up fiber, the Technical University of Denmark has set a new record for transmitting data over one channel: 43 terabits per second.
Oracle has responded to a former employee's claim that a new in-memory processing option is turned on by default with the latest release of Database 12c, insisting that the process of enabling it requires a series of deliberate steps.
In the hot market for big-data products and services, sometimes even competitors must work together for the common good.
Hewlett-Packard is betting $50 million that its customers will find value in the Hadoop data processing platform by investing in Hadoop distributor Hortonworks.
Oracle is combining its BlueKai consumer data aggregation platform with other parts of its catalog to create Oracle Data Cloud, a data-as-a-service offering aimed at companies that want to reach customers and prospects across multiple channels.
Teradata has bought the assets of Revelytix and Hadapt in a bid to grow out its capabilities for the Hadoop big-data processing framework.
Its fast and robust data processing and storage power make Hadoop both wildly popular and wildly complex. Here's how four IT leaders have managed to bring Hadoop systems from the sandbox into production.
Hive's SQL-like query language and vastly improved speed on huge data sets make it the perfect partner for an enterprise data warehouse
The partnership announced last week isn't just about selling more iPhones. It's part of a big push into the Internet of Things.
It's up to each one of us to figure out what in the daily surge of data is useful, what's crap and what's truly valuable.
Microsoft has jumped in with both feet with the release to Preview of a new Microsoft Azure-based tool that helps organizations do Machine Learning and predictive analysis all from a Web console.
In a recent research survey, ESG asked security professionals to identify the most important type of data for use in malware detection and analysis (note: I am an employee of ESG). The responses were as follows:
Download this companion to our story, to more easily follow along tricks, tips and code.
Apache Cassandra is a free, open source NoSQL database designed to manage very large data sets (think petabytes) across large clusters of commodity servers. Among many distinguishing features, Cassandra excels at scaling writes as well as reads, and its "master-less" architecture makes creating and expanding clusters relatively straightforward. For organizations seeking a data store that can support rapid and massive growth, Cassandra should be high on the list of options to consider.
Ever since President Obama signed the Open Data Executive Order, government agencies have been making their vast data stores available to the public. These once-secret data sets are proving a valuable business resource, too.
While the path-to-mastery pattern is conceptually simple, successfully executing it requires courage, perseverance and patience.
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- CIOs strive to harness Big Data while keeping an eye on the bottom line
- Read this whitepaper to learn how Red Hat Storage Server allows CIOs to confidently support business growth, manage cost and risk, capitalize on...
- Server and system administrators challenged to keep up with enterprise storage explosion
- Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- A Modern Approach to the Data Deluge
- Read this whitepaper to learn how infrastructure leaders can confidently manage cost, complexity, and risk, capitalize on emerging technologies, and drive future innovation...
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications
- Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- Administrators need an agile platform to usher the new era of enterprise storage
- Read this whitepaper and learn how administrators are keeping up by guiding their enterprises toward new, software-defined storage platforms that simplify and unify... All Big Data White Papers
- Big Data in the Mainstream: Insights for Everyone, Everywhere In this Webcast you will learn why small data is important and how to embed insights into CRM and HRMS applications to reach...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Improved Data-centric Application Development and Hadoop Operations with BMC and Hortonworks Join this webinar to hear from BMC and Hortonworks how their combined solutions help customers unlock the value of Big Data by implementing...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- All Big Data Webcasts