Big Data Topic Center
Big data news, in-depth articles and more
Oracle is combining its BlueKai consumer data aggregation platform with other parts of its catalog to create Oracle Data Cloud, a data-as-a-service offering aimed at companies that want to reach customers and prospects across multiple channels.
Teradata has bought the assets of Revelytix and Hadapt in a bid to grow out its capabilities for the Hadoop big-data processing framework.
A U.S. senator has asked the Federal Trade Commission to scrutinize the use of big data by Facebook and other Internet companies, following a controversy over a Facebook experiment on some of its users.
Michelin is using Microstrategy software to provide analytics and vizualisation capabilities as part of a big data strategy to improve the efficiency of its supply chain and manufacturing processes.
Hoping to win new business and build loyalty among existing customers, business intelligence software vendor MicroStrategy has broadly revamped its pricing and packaging structure.
Companies are focusing more and more attention on building out big data analytics capabilities and data scientists are feeling the pressure.
Oracle is selling $10 billion in bonds, in a move that could signal the vendor is planning to ramp up its already steady pace of acquisitions.
Taking on Google, Databricks plans to offer its own cloud service for analyzing live data streams, one based on the Apache Spark software.
When it comes to big data, many enterprises are getting slammed with big problems. Google plans to focus on helping those companies over the next year.
Oracle's pending acquisition of retail and hospitality technology vendor Micros is its biggest since scooping up Sun Microsystems in 2010, which begs questions about why it's willing to pay so much.
The partnership announced last week isn't just about selling more iPhones. It's part of a big push into the Internet of Things.
It's up to each one of us to figure out what in the daily surge of data is useful, what's crap and what's truly valuable.
Microsoft has jumped in with both feet with the release to Preview of a new Microsoft Azure-based tool that helps organizations do Machine Learning and predictive analysis all from a Web console.
In a recent research survey, ESG asked security professionals to identify the most important type of data for use in malware detection and analysis (note: I am an employee of ESG). The responses were as follows:
Download this companion to our story, to more easily follow along tricks, tips and code.
Apache Cassandra is a free, open source NoSQL database designed to manage very large data sets (think petabytes) across large clusters of commodity servers. Among many distinguishing features, Cassandra excels at scaling writes as well as reads, and its "master-less" architecture makes creating and expanding clusters relatively straightforward. For organizations seeking a data store that can support rapid and massive growth, Cassandra should be high on the list of options to consider.
Ever since President Obama signed the Open Data Executive Order, government agencies have been making their vast data stores available to the public. These once-secret data sets are proving a valuable business resource, too.
While the path-to-mastery pattern is conceptually simple, successfully executing it requires courage, perseverance and patience.
Big data and analytics permeate virtually every move Ford makes, from forecasting the worldwide price of commodities to figuring out what exactly consumers want, what it will build, where it should source parts and how to power its lineup of vehicles.
Here's one way to use big-data skills as the holidays approach: Find out what recipes are most popular. Analysts parsed 78 million November page views at Allrecipes.com to see favorite Thanksgiving foods by state.
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Delivering trusted information for the modern data warehouse
- An agile warehouse environment helps organizations capitalize on analytics, optimize performance and uncover new insights. Learn about the capabilities and technologies required to...
- The Forrester Wave for Big Data Hadoop Solutions
- Read this report from Forrester Research and find out why IBM InfoSphere BigInsights was named a leader among 9 companies evaluated, and how...
- Stop the Top 3 Causes of Data Breaches
- Around the world, enterprises and public agencies store massive amounts of data: customer data, internal corporate data, and intellectual property, making it the...
- 3 Big Data Security Analytics Techniques You Can Apply Now to Catch Advanced Persistent Threats
- This technical white paper demonstrates how to use Big Data security analytics techniques to detect advanced persistent threat (APT) cyber attacks, and it...
- Dell Software Foglight APM 5.9: Introducing Big Data Repository/Reporting Supporting Web Analytics and User-Centric APM
- Learn the capabilities of Dell™ Foglight™ Application Performance Monitoring (APM) 5.9, and how the deep visibility into transaction flows and User Experience capitalize... All Big Data White Papers
- Improved Data-centric Application Development and Hadoop Operations with BMC and Hortonworks Join this webinar to hear from BMC and Hortonworks how their combined solutions help customers unlock the value of Big Data by implementing...
- The Next Generation of Big Data: New IBM Information Management Cloud Solutions Learn about IBM's new and expanded Information Management capabilities now delivered in the cloud, including: Hadoop based analytics, stream processing, in-memory computing, data...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- All Big Data Webcasts