Big Data Topic Center
Big data news, in-depth articles and more
Oracle has responded to a former employee's claim that a new in-memory processing option is turned on by default with the latest release of Database 12c, insisting that the process of enabling it requires a series of deliberate steps.
In the hot market for big-data products and services, sometimes even competitors must work together for the common good.
Hewlett-Packard is betting $50 million that its customers will find value in the Hadoop data processing platform by investing in Hadoop distributor Hortonworks.
Oracle is combining its BlueKai consumer data aggregation platform with other parts of its catalog to create Oracle Data Cloud, a data-as-a-service offering aimed at companies that want to reach customers and prospects across multiple channels.
Teradata has bought the assets of Revelytix and Hadapt in a bid to grow out its capabilities for the Hadoop big-data processing framework.
A U.S. senator has asked the Federal Trade Commission to scrutinize the use of big data by Facebook and other Internet companies, following a controversy over a Facebook experiment on some of its users.
Michelin is using Microstrategy software to provide analytics and vizualisation capabilities as part of a big data strategy to improve the efficiency of its supply chain and manufacturing processes.
Hoping to win new business and build loyalty among existing customers, business intelligence software vendor MicroStrategy has broadly revamped its pricing and packaging structure.
Companies are focusing more and more attention on building out big data analytics capabilities and data scientists are feeling the pressure.
Oracle is selling $10 billion in bonds, in a move that could signal the vendor is planning to ramp up its already steady pace of acquisitions.
Hive's SQL-like query language and vastly improved speed on huge data sets make it the perfect partner for an enterprise data warehouse
The partnership announced last week isn't just about selling more iPhones. It's part of a big push into the Internet of Things.
It's up to each one of us to figure out what in the daily surge of data is useful, what's crap and what's truly valuable.
Microsoft has jumped in with both feet with the release to Preview of a new Microsoft Azure-based tool that helps organizations do Machine Learning and predictive analysis all from a Web console.
In a recent research survey, ESG asked security professionals to identify the most important type of data for use in malware detection and analysis (note: I am an employee of ESG). The responses were as follows:
Download this companion to our story, to more easily follow along tricks, tips and code.
Apache Cassandra is a free, open source NoSQL database designed to manage very large data sets (think petabytes) across large clusters of commodity servers. Among many distinguishing features, Cassandra excels at scaling writes as well as reads, and its "master-less" architecture makes creating and expanding clusters relatively straightforward. For organizations seeking a data store that can support rapid and massive growth, Cassandra should be high on the list of options to consider.
Ever since President Obama signed the Open Data Executive Order, government agencies have been making their vast data stores available to the public. These once-secret data sets are proving a valuable business resource, too.
While the path-to-mastery pattern is conceptually simple, successfully executing it requires courage, perseverance and patience.
Big data and analytics permeate virtually every move Ford makes, from forecasting the worldwide price of commodities to figuring out what exactly consumers want, what it will build, where it should source parts and how to power its lineup of vehicles.
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Top 3 Myths about Big Data Security : Debunking common misconceptions about big data security
- Big data represents massive business possibilities and competitive advantage for organizations that are able to harness and use that information. But how are...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology
- IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- Best Practices for Securing Hadoop
- Historically, Apache Hadoop has provided limited security capabilities. To protect sensitive data being stored and analyzed in Hadoop, security architects should use a...
- Top Tips for Securing Big Data Environments: Why Big Data Doesn't Have to Mean Big Security Challenges
- Organizations must come to terms with the security challenges they introduce. As big data environments ingest more data, organizations will face significant risks...
- CIOs strive to harness Big Data while keeping an eye on the bottom line
- Read this whitepaper to learn how Red Hat Storage Server allows CIOs to confidently support business growth, manage cost and risk, capitalize on... All Big Data White Papers
- Live Webcast Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Improved Data-centric Application Development and Hadoop Operations with BMC and Hortonworks Join this webinar to hear from BMC and Hortonworks how their combined solutions help customers unlock the value of Big Data by implementing...
- The Next Generation of Big Data: New IBM Information Management Cloud Solutions Learn about IBM's new and expanded Information Management capabilities now delivered in the cloud, including: Hadoop based analytics, stream processing, in-memory computing, data...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- All Big Data Webcasts