More Consumerization of IT In Depth
CIO.com's Tom Kaneshige had resisted watching HBO's new comedy about life in the Silicon Valley. After all, he's lived it since the '90s. But a funny thing happened during his week of binge viewing.
When faced with technology options, we are choosing the ones that require the least commitment to undivided attention.
There are many major threats to our privacy that we should be up in arms about, but iBeacons, Gmail scanning and Google Glass are not among them, says Mike Elgan.
Companies are engaged in a kind of arms race with competitors to see how many apps they can get everyone to use. But this aggressive push for more apps is going to end up giving users app fatigue.
Amazon announced it's buying Comixology, the leader in the digital-comic-book world. Comixology's technology powers the company's own popular Comics app and web store, and the main comic-reading apps by Marvel and DC.
There's no question that today's Microsoft is a whole new company. Many of the changes announced under the leadership of CEO Satya Nadella were initiated under his predecessor, Steve Ballmer. But it's clear that it's a whole new Microsoft.
For wearables to really take off, they will have to cannibalize the smartphone, just as mobile devices have cannibalized the PC.
News, features, explainers, opinions and more about the Internet of Things
Cloud, mobile and other tech investments are expected to yield benefits to both the top and bottom lines. But communication, integration and shadow IT challenges lurk.
In February, during one of New England's harshest winters in memory, some employees at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine, began deliberately parking further away from their offices.
We've seen pictures and videos of Motorola's round smartwatch. But the most important facts are still unknown, and Mike Elgan has a lot of questions.
The coffee purveyor has indicated it wants to move in that direction. But so do other companies, and they all have some hurdles to overcome.
Electronic tattoos are the ultimate wearable computer. There's no telling what a patch of electronics stuck to your body somewhere and connected wirelessly to a smartphone can do once app developers get involved.
With the right collaboration tools and an open-minded management team, the phrase 'productive meeting' doesn't have to be an oxymoron.
In the past week, two new ultra secure smartphones have been in the news. One is called the Blackphone. The other is called the Black phone. The difference in their names is a space. Here's what we know about the two most secure smartphones ever created.
Get the latest from Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona: News, reviews and more
Most of the features of the perfect smartwatch exist today, but not all in the same product. (Insider; registration required)
Implementing WAP involves a lot of moving pieces; here's what admins need to know for a successful rollout.
The world of fast food is getting faster -- and redefining the future of mobile payments. Just look at what Taco Bell and Chipotle are doing.
This week, Google Glass got a new app called 'Refresh' that seems small, but it represents the future of wearable computing.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success
- Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Drive Business Growth with the Right Social Media Tools
- With social media taking an increasingly important role in business, CIOs have an opportunity before them: Demonstrate their ability to evolve by facilitating...
- Marketing Analytics Handbook: Marketing ROI for the Mobile Workforce
- Mobility is redefining marketing analytics capabilities. This Marketing Analytics Handbook demonstrates how 24/7 visibility into marketing ROI and other KPIs make real-time analysis...
- Infor Epiphany Solution Overview
- Infor Epiphany leads the way in enabling enterprises to deliver more timely and relevant messages and create longer lasting and more valuable customer...
- Drive Customer Experience with Actionable Social CRM
- Social media has added another digital channel to customer relationship management. The impact of social media requires organizations to combine social media interactions... All Consumerization of IT White Papers
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control.
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- All Consumerization of IT Webcasts