More Consumerization of IT In Depth
Companies are engaged in a kind of arms race with competitors to see how many apps they can get everyone to use. But this aggressive push for more apps is going to end up giving users app fatigue.
Amazon announced it's buying Comixology, the leader in the digital-comic-book world. Comixology's technology powers the company's own popular Comics app and web store, and the main comic-reading apps by Marvel and DC.
There's no question that today's Microsoft is a whole new company. Many of the changes announced under the leadership of CEO Satya Nadella were initiated under his predecessor, Steve Ballmer. But it's clear that it's a whole new Microsoft.
For wearables to really take off, they will have to cannibalize the smartphone, just as mobile devices have cannibalized the PC.
News, features, explainers, opinions and more about the Internet of Things
Cloud, mobile and other tech investments are expected to yield benefits to both the top and bottom lines. But communication, integration and shadow IT challenges lurk.
In February, during one of New England's harshest winters in memory, some employees at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine, began deliberately parking further away from their offices.
We've seen pictures and videos of Motorola's round smartwatch. But the most important facts are still unknown, and Mike Elgan has a lot of questions.
The coffee purveyor has indicated it wants to move in that direction. But so do other companies, and they all have some hurdles to overcome.
Electronic tattoos are the ultimate wearable computer. There's no telling what a patch of electronics stuck to your body somewhere and connected wirelessly to a smartphone can do once app developers get involved.
With the right collaboration tools and an open-minded management team, the phrase 'productive meeting' doesn't have to be an oxymoron.
In the past week, two new ultra secure smartphones have been in the news. One is called the Blackphone. The other is called the Black phone. The difference in their names is a space. Here's what we know about the two most secure smartphones ever created.
Get the latest from Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona: News, reviews and more
Most of the features of the perfect smartwatch exist today, but not all in the same product. (Insider; registration required)
Implementing WAP involves a lot of moving pieces; here's what admins need to know for a successful rollout.
The world of fast food is getting faster -- and redefining the future of mobile payments. Just look at what Taco Bell and Chipotle are doing.
This week, Google Glass got a new app called 'Refresh' that seems small, but it represents the future of wearable computing.
Google is selling Motorola to Lenovo. The deal makes Google better, Lenovo bigger and Motorola gets a new lease on life.
The ThinkPad X240 is the latest X-series laptop from Lenovo. We take the touchscreen version of the 12.5-inch laptop through the paces to see how it fares as a business tool.
The majority of wearable gadgets today are smartphone companion devices, designed to mostly work along with your phone and serve as a secondary display for your handset. The current popularity of smartwatches, smartglasses and other wearable gadgetry raises a number of intriguing questions about how these newfangled gizmos will affect the smartphones in so many of our pockets and purses.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success
- Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Drive Business Growth with the Right Social Media Tools
- With social media taking an increasingly important role in business, CIOs have an opportunity before them: Demonstrate their ability to evolve by facilitating...
- Marketing Analytics Handbook: Marketing ROI for the Mobile Workforce
- Mobility is redefining marketing analytics capabilities. This Marketing Analytics Handbook demonstrates how 24/7 visibility into marketing ROI and other KPIs make real-time analysis...
- Infor Epiphany Solution Overview
- Infor Epiphany leads the way in enabling enterprises to deliver more timely and relevant messages and create longer lasting and more valuable customer...
- Drive Customer Experience with Actionable Social CRM
- Social media has added another digital channel to customer relationship management. The impact of social media requires organizations to combine social media interactions... All Consumerization of IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- How to Protect Enterprise Data Yet Enable Secure Access for End Users Learn how BYOD, Big Data and the use of rogue applications and devices is putting corporate data at risk, best practices from IT...
- All Consumerization of IT Webcasts