Skip the navigation

More Consumerization of IT In Depth

In Digital Assistant Faceoff, Good Now (Just) Edges Siri

Call me old fashioned, but unlike Joaquin Phoenix in the film "Her," I'll never fall in love with a computer, Apple's Siri, or any other digital assistant. Siri is helpful, but does it work as well as Google Now? According to Gene Munster, a Piper Jaffray analyst who performed a rather painstaking analysis of the subject, there's almost no difference between the two -- though the Android version has a very slight edge.

'Privacy Badger' Browser Add-On Protects You from Online Tracking

I'd never confuse Amazon, Facebook or doubleClick with the NSA, but I still don't like being tracked online. Tracking is more than just annoying; it lets unscrupulous companies that scarf up user data turn around and sell your information --A and despite statements to the contrary, the collection isn't always done anonymously.

BYOD morphs from lockdown to true mobility

Four companies that have been at BYOD for a while talk about how their programs have changed with the times. One key takeaway: Don't expect to save bundles of money. Insider (registration required)

Preston Gralla: Jeff Bezos hates you

But he's quite fond of your credit card.

Fingerprint Faceoff: Apple Touch ID vs. Samsung Finger Scanner

My single favorite feature of the iPhone 5s is the Touch ID fingerprint scanner, which lets you unlock your device with the tap of a finger. So when Samsung recently sent me its new Galaxy Tab S 10.5" tablet for review, the first thing I did was test the Tab S fingerprint scanner.

Fitbit Flex Gets Fashionable

The next phase in the evolution of wearable technology is upon us; brand-name fashion designers are joining the party, and style conscious women can now preorder a few different accessories to make their Fitbit Flex fitness trackers look less like wrist-worn rubber bands and more like pricey jewelry.

Boost your security training with gamification -- really!

Getting employees to take security seriously can be a game that everyone wins.

Wearables: Are we handing more tools to Big Brother?

Most of us would love a break on our health insurance. We would generally appreciate the convenience of seeing ads for things we're actually interested in buying, instead of irrelevant "clutter." A lot of us would like someone, or something, else keeping track of how effective our workouts are.

Wearable Tech's Dilemma: Too Much Data, Not Enough Insight

When people learn that I run marathons in addition to covering healthcare IT, it doesn't take long for them to ask, "Where's your fitness tracker?"

LinkedIn 'Connected' iOS App is Perfect for Power Networkers

LinkedIn is an invaluable social network for business. Just last week, I landed a new gig by simply congratulating a former client on his new position via LinkedIn.

How Much Would You Pay for Google Glass? (Poll)

Earlier this week, I had an in-depth conversation with the man who created Google's Glass at Work program, Eric Johnsen. Glass at Work is a program that certifies Glass-related third-party apps and services for use in the enterprise.

Google's Former 'Glass at Work' Chief Talks Smartglasses in the Enterprise

In April, Google launched "Glass at Work," a program that certifies Glass-related products and services from third-party vendors for use in enterprise environments. The company last month announced its first five official "Glass at Work" partners and took some significant steps toward legitimizing its Glass smartglasses in the enterprise.

Getting started with Microsoft Azure RemoteApp

There are several deployment choices, but none is overly complex to set up.

Facebook, T-Mobile Owe Customers Sincere Apologies – but Don't Hold Your Breath

It's really not difficult to say, "I'm sorry." But getting companies to say it a and mean it a is sometimes akin to turning water into wine.

Google shows Apple how to buy a music service

Google's purchase of music streaming service Songza will be a boost for the Google brand as well as its search, Play, Glass and other services. Maybe Apple could learn a thing or two from the deal.

Enjoy the Free Songza Music App While You Still Can

By now, you may have heard that Google acquired Songza for a rumored $15 million. That's a bargain, when you consider Apple's recent $3-billion purchase of Beats, which sells headphones, speakers and a streaming music service.

So Long, AT&T! T-Mobile Free Trial Convinced Me to Switch

It's not me, AT&T. It's you.

Aereo Deserves to be Put Out of Business for Stealing Content

As a consumer advocate my heart is with Aereo, a startup that uses tiny antennas (pictured below) to capture broadcast airwaves and stream those signals to users who pay about $8 a month. But as a "content creator" my head is with the broadcasters and the Supreme Court on this one.

The Internet of Things at home: Why we should pay attention

The Internet of Things is producing a lot of interesting consumer products that have the potential to lead to important enterprise tools. Here is a basic overview of the concept, together with examples of available products and what they offer.

The Internet of Things at home: 14 smart products compared

What can Internet of Things products bring to your home? Here are the features offered by 14 of the major vendors.

Consumerization of IT: Be in the know
consumer tech

Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!