Skip the navigation

Consumerization of IT Topic Center

Consumerization of IT (CoIT) news, in-depth articles and more

Consumerization of IT News

Is Sony's Walkman set to make a comeback?

Sony is making a push to sell high-definition music players, and 35 years after being launched its Walkman is making a small comeback.
Read more...

Want an Apple watch? Just 3D print one

An industrious design graduate from the University of Edinburgh has posted a 3D printing CAD file for a wrist ban that allows users to insert an iPod Nano, which can act as a watch, music player and more.

Apple gets patent on iTime smart watch

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office served up further evidence on Tuesday that Apple is designing a smart watch when it awarded the company a patent for a wrist-worn gadget with a touchscreen and ability to communicate with a smartphone.

AirMagnet Wi-Fi security tool takes aim at drones

In its quest to help enterprises seek out and neutralize all threats to their Wi-Fi networks, AirMagnet is now looking to the skies.

Just wave your smartwatch to board this train

If you're holding out for that multi-functional smartwatch of your dreams, Sony is working to add contactless payments to wearables with a new chip.

Cheaper Xbox offering without Kinect spikes U.S. sales

Sales of Xbox One gaming consoles more than doubled in the U.S. last month because of the introduction of a cheaper version of the console that doesn't include the Kinect motion sensor.

Amazon.com mulls unlimited e-book subscription offer

Amazon.com looks to be prepping a $9.99-a-month e-book and audiobook subscription service dubbed "Kindle Unlimited."

Visa launches 'Checkout' for quick and easy payments from any device

Visa announced a new simplified digital payment service called Visa Checkout, which is designed to allow customers to pay quickly for goods online on any connected device.

Google moves closer to selling smart contacts

Google has reached a deal with Alcon to work together on smart contact lenses that can monitor diabetics' blood sugar levels.

Google's 3D mapping tech flying to space station

After a successful Sunday launch, the Cygnus cargo spacecraft is on its way to the International Space Station, carrying a Google 3D smartphone, along with a flock of tiny satellites.

Consumerization of IT In Depth

'Privacy Badger' Browser Add-On Protects You from Online Tracking

I'd never confuse Amazon, Facebook or doubleClick with the NSA, but I still don't like being tracked online. Tracking is more than just annoying; it lets unscrupulous companies that scarf up user data turn around and sell your information --A and despite statements to the contrary, the collection isn't always done anonymously.

BYOD morphs from lockdown to true mobility

Four companies that have been at BYOD for a while talk about how their programs have changed with the times. One key takeaway: Don't expect to save bundles of money. Insider (registration required)

Preston Gralla: Jeff Bezos hates you

But he's quite fond of your credit card.

Fingerprint Faceoff: Apple Touch ID vs. Samsung Finger Scanner

My single favorite feature of the iPhone 5s is the Touch ID fingerprint scanner, which lets you unlock your device with the tap of a finger. So when Samsung recently sent me its new Galaxy Tab S 10.5" tablet for review, the first thing I did was test the Tab S fingerprint scanner.

Fitbit Flex Gets Fashionable

The next phase in the evolution of wearable technology is upon us; brand-name fashion designers are joining the party, and style conscious women can now preorder a few different accessories to make their Fitbit Flex fitness trackers look less like wrist-worn rubber bands and more like pricey jewelry.

Boost your security training with gamification -- really!

Getting employees to take security seriously can be a game that everyone wins.

Wearables: Are we handing more tools to Big Brother?

Most of us would love a break on our health insurance. We would generally appreciate the convenience of seeing ads for things we're actually interested in buying, instead of irrelevant "clutter." A lot of us would like someone, or something, else keeping track of how effective our workouts are.

Wearable Tech's Dilemma: Too Much Data, Not Enough Insight

When people learn that I run marathons in addition to covering healthcare IT, it doesn't take long for them to ask, "Where's your fitness tracker?"

LinkedIn 'Connected' iOS App is Perfect for Power Networkers

LinkedIn is an invaluable social network for business. Just last week, I landed a new gig by simply congratulating a former client on his new position via LinkedIn.

How Much Would You Pay for Google Glass? (Poll)

Earlier this week, I had an in-depth conversation with the man who created Google's Glass at Work program, Eric Johnsen. Glass at Work is a program that certifies Glass-related third-party apps and services for use in the enterprise.

Consumerization of IT: Be in the know
consumer tech

Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!