Skip the navigation

Internet Search Topic Center

Internet search: Get the latest news, reviews, in-depth features and more

Internet Search News

Google rolls out new +Post 'social' ads

Internet users may soon start to see more ads that look like posts from Google+, but without visiting the social network.
Read more...

Google's Titan drone deal is about more than Internet access

Google has confirmed its acquisition of drone maker Titan Aerospace and hinted that the technology could be used for a lot more than providing Internet access to remote parts of the world.

Google said to be eyeing a boost to encrypted sites in search results

Websites that use encryption could be elevated in Google search results sometime in the future, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Facebook is trying to make its News Feed less spammy

Posts on Facebook that repeatedly urge users to like, share or comment on them are being targeted in a new effort to reduce News Feed spam, Facebook said.

Google pushes I/O registration deadline back to April 15

If you thought you'd spend part of today signing up to attend this year's Google I/O, think again.

Yahoo reportedly launching YouTube rival

Reports are circulating that Yahoo is looking to launch a video site that would go up against Google's behemoth YouTube.

Bing adds context to people, places with 'snapshot' feature

Bing is poised to function like a souped-up Yellow Pages, with visual search results offering more information about professionals such as lawyers and doctors.

Activists to appeal U.S. ruling on Baidu censorship

A group of activists are hoping to appeal a U.S. judge's ruling that treated the censorship on Chinese search engine Baidu as free speech.

U.S. judge rules Baidu's censorship is protected as free speech

A U.S. judge has ruled that the Chinese search engine Baidu has the right to block pro-democracy works from its query results, dismissing a lawsuit that sought to punish the company for Internet censorship.

Amazon adds search features, more languages to CloudSearch

Amazon Web Services' CloudSearch service has been upgraded with more search features and is now compatible with 33 languages.

Internet Search In Depth

Trust issue looms large for tech companies capitalizing on personal data

As tech companies increasingly rely on analyzing and selling user data to boost revenue, trust is emerging as one of the defining issues of the year for the IT sector.

7 Ways to Create a Successful Integrated Marketing Campaign

Marketing experts share their strategies for developing a successful marketing campaign in today's multichannel, mobile, social-media-driven world.

Does Google Glass Pose Safety, Health and Security Risks?

Google Glass ranks among the most anticipated of wearable technologies. But a pair of glasses with a small computer screen above one eye is bound to raise concerns about security, privacy, and even the health and safety of the person wearing it.

Don't start selling until you see the whites of their eyes: Google patents 'pay-per-gaze' ads

Although we are constantly surrounded by advertisements both online and offline, companies have no way to know whether we've actually seen what they're selling. That could change in the future, with the help of Google Glass.

Google's next act: Diversify and conquer

Center stage at this year's Google I/O was a company honing its vision for a future beyond search

Mobile Players Offer a Mix of Messages in TV Ads

Apple, Samsung and Microsoft take divergent paths to selling their smartphones via TV commercials. The winning approach: Focus on your own unique features, and resist potshots at the competition.

When Marketing with Social Media, One Has to be a Little Wary:R. Balakrishnan (Balki)

R. Balakrishnan (Balki)

More innovation means less control. Is that bad?

Innovation in mobile computing, search and social media increasingly means taking control away from users, says Mike Elgan, but at what cost?

Do social media ads really work? We put them to the test!

Social media sites already offer free advertising in the form of tweets and Facebook posts, but these tools can only take your brand so far. The next step involvesA paying forA social media ads, and if you're considering this option, you're probably most concerned with one big question: What will my return actually be?A Will spending money on an ad on Twitter or Facebook bring more customers to my business than the same amount spent on Google AdWords?

Predicting the Tech Future

For my recent column of predictions for 2013 I polled a huge number of IT people to see what they are expecting, and ended up getting more than 400 responses.