Netbooks Topic Center
Get the latest news, reviews and more about netbooks
Nokia plans to announce an Android-based smartphone at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona in two weeks, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Intel is closing down its AppUp online application store as it sees a shift in the market and consumer needs.
AT&T kicked off a smartphone trade-in deal today that knocks 50% off the price of several of the newest smartphones -- including the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S4 -- subject to a new two-year agreement.
PC shipments in Western Europe declined by 20.5% during the first quarter: The only vendors to see shipments grow were Lenovo and Apple, which returned to the top five.
Intel's Atom processors designed for netbooks could be on their last leg, with analysts saying that the chip maker could be tweaking its product road map as PC sales tumble and tablet adoption widens.
Asustek has delayed U.S. shipments for its dual-screen Taichi ultrabooks, which were available for order from retail sites like Amazon, Newegg and TigerDirect.
Acer has started shipping the C7 Chromebook netbook starting at US$199 with Google's Chrome OS and Intel's Celeron processor.
Samsung will announce a 5-in. Galaxy S4 at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next February, according to company officials and executives at parts suppliers quoted in The Korea Times.
Big tablets like the iPad will always be popular, especially among high- end buyers. But the future may belong to smaller, cheaper tablets like the Google Nexus 7 and the upcoming mini iPad. Why are smaller tablets likely to dominate the tablet market?
Tablets will become most users' main computing devices within the next four years, Forrester Research analyst Frank Gillett has predicted.
How do they stack up against each other?
With ultrabook announcements expected to get all the attention at next week's CES, it's important to lament the ill-fated netbook -- left for dead by a callous and capricious tech industry. Patrick Thobodeau explains.
A reader who wishes to remain unnamed shouldn't be so shy, as this is a perfectly lovely question. He or she writes:
CIOs continue to test the popular iPad tablet for enterprise applications. These pilots show potential, but the devices still have lots of limitations. Insider (registration required)
Kraft, Whirlpool, Motorola Solutions and other employers are pioneering BYOT policies to drive productivity and reduce costs. Here's why your employees want this and what you need to do to make it happen. Insider (registration required)
Dell touts the Latitude 2120 as the ideal netbook for business. That engenders the question: is an old-school, underperforming, under-screened netbook can really be an ideal solution for business computing?
The Lenovo IdeaPad S205 shapes up as a very appealing, somewhat consumer-oriented alternative to the ThinkPad X120e.
The netbook's day in the sun was short-lived, and it took Apple to show the way with 'tweener devices.
Netbooks are so formulaic these days, it's difficult to stand out from the crowd. Samsung, in a small way, has managed that with the $330 (price as of May 11, 2011) NC110. With only the standard netbook 10.1-inch display, the typical 250GB hard drive, and the usual accoutrements, the NC110 instead makes an impression through a combination of styling, battery life, and software. Unfortunately, it also stands out as a slow performer.
The Toshiba Mini NB305-N600 ($380 as of April 5, 2011) comes from the higher end of Toshiba's two-part netbook family. Nothing if not eager to meet your netbook needs, Toshiba offers its two basic models--the Mini NB300 and NB500 series--in a total of 11 configurations, and figuring out how they differ requires going through spec sheets with a magnifying glass. Of course, specs don't tell the whole story, anyway--and overall, the story isn't that compelling.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets
- Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014
- Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up
- There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- Are You Prepared for a Software Audit?
- Just the word "audit" is enough to make anyone shiver, and when it comes to a software audit, the reaction is no different....
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report
- For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In... All Netbooks White Papers
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- All Netbooks Webcasts