More Data Storage In Depth
Goldman Sachs is taking Google to court to force the cloud vendor to delete an email accidentally sent to a Gmail user. The consequences of a ruling for Goldman would be devastating.
Samsung's new 850 Pro SSD series has up to 1TB of capacity and is designed for workstations and high-end PCs.
Marios Papadopoulos stores media files on a 1TB external hard drive. He asked about using the same drive for backup.
HP claims that its light-based, next-generation Machine will do everything except scrub the kitchen sink. But given HP's recent innovation track record, why should we believe any of it?
The scoop: Transporter Sync, by Connected Data, about $100 (plus cost of external storage drive)
Information governance covers the entire spectrum of information management, but most people have a fuzzy notion of what it is. This must change, because the real value of information can't be fully realized unless it is properly governed.
This is the third in a series of three reviews covering the major online office productivity apps: Microsoft Office Online (Word Online, Excel Online, and PowerPoint Online), Apple iWork for iCloud (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote for iCloud), and in this article, Google Drive (with Docs, Sheets, and Slides) aka Google Docs and Google Apps.
Smoothly scalable, automatically redundant, set-it-and-forget-it NAS rewrites the network storage playbook
Riverbed Granite 2.5 eliminates remote office server administration and backup pains by delivering iSCSI and Fibre Channel storage over the WAN
Netgear's better, faster rack-mount NAS and iSCSI SAN makes the case for enterprise workloads with read and write caching and unlimited snapshots
How can you keep critical data safe when disaster strikes? There is no one magic answer, but there are steps your business can and should take to protect important files and applications in the event of a disaster.
If you regularly need to store documents in the cloud, a desktop scanner could help. We look at three new devices from Brother, Neat Company and DCT that approach the task in different ways.
One alternative to buying expensive storage-area networks or other hardware-based dedicated storage is to deploy open source storage software on existing server hardware. For this test, we evaluated three such open source storage products, GlusterFS 3.3, Ceph 0.72 and Apache Hadoop 2.2.0.
12-bay rack-mount systems from QNAP, Netgear, LenovoEMC, and Infortrend combine huge storage capacities, business-grade features, smooth setup, and easy administration
PernixData FVP clusters server-side flash to improve virtual machine performance and reduce SAN latency
Mobility has brought back I/O problems after two decades. (Insider; registration required)
Dell's latest update to the Compellent Storage Center includes a novel approach to tiered SSDs, but it comes with caveats
In today's business environment, companies are expected to grow quickly. This means their data centers must grow quickly, too. These four technological advances will help firms scale up -- and down, when necessary -- so growth doesn't turn into a bad thing.
Earlier this year we tested Network Attached Storage (NAS) appliances. Now we're reviewing software-based NAS that you can load onto your own equipment -- whether it's a PC, server, virtual machine, or in the cloud.
Box trumps Dropbox, Egnyte, Citrix ShareFile, EMC Syncplicity, and OwnCloud with rich mix of file sync, file sharing, user management, deep reporting, and enterprise integration
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- 5 eDiscovery Challenges Solved
- eDiscovery challenges continue to present themselves as data storage becomes more complex and grows the Big Data Era. Read this CommVault Solution Brief...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data
- With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Dell PowerEdge C8000 Series
- Constantly changing workloads demand the right mix of resources, with the maximum performance per unit of rack space. The Dell PowerEdge C8000 with...
- Seven questions you must ask before choosing your patient portal solution
- By asking the right questions and connecting the right stakeholders, you can ensure that you implement a true community solution that will improve...
- Improve care delivery and performance
- MEDHOST YourCareCommunity is built on prevailing industry standards, making it vendor-agnostic, and as an SaaS-based solution, no hardware or software needs to be... All Data Storage White Papers
- Vblock™ Specialized System for SAP HANA® Deploy SAP HANA® fast and with low risk. VCE brings together all of the necessary components for SAP HANA® into a single, standardized...
- The Value of Symantec NetBackup Appliances In this video, Symantec's Shelley Schmokel, Principal Product Manager for NetBackup Appliances, talks about the NetBackup Integrated Appliances and how they deliver enterprise-class...
- Enterprise Strategy Group Lab Review - Symantec NetBackup 7.6 for VMware This ESG Lab Validation report documents remote testing of Symantec NetBackup 7.6, with a focus on new integration with VMware.
- Enterprise Strategy Group Lab Review - Symantec NetBackup 5230 Appliance This report presents the parameters of the test and ESG Labs' conclusions.
- Integrated Swiss Army Knife - 6 Use Cases for Data Protection Appliances This white paper features several case studies to help organizations determine which appliance solution will be right for them.
- All Data Storage Webcasts