Wireless Networking Topic Center
Reviews, news, in-depth analysis, opinions and more about wireless networking
In the hunt for new ways to handle growing data volumes, NTT DoCoMo and Huawei Technologies have demonstrated that LTE can be deployed over 5GHz, which today is used for Wi-Fi networks.
Verizon Wireless beat out the other three national carriers for overall network performance, reliability and speed in the first half of 2014, according to an analysis by RootMetrics released Tuesday.
As promised by its new CEO, Sprint announced late Monday it will lower its shared data plans to prices below those offered by other national carriers starting on Friday.
What incoming Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure can do to reverse the carrier's declining subscriber base and turn the company around.
Google, Microsoft and Facebook are cranking up an emerging wireless technology known as Wi-FAR to help reduce the digital divide in remote and unconnected regions of the world.
New York start-up goTenna has created a portable antenna that could come in handy when cellular service is unavailable.
The expected boom in demand for small, often isolated devices in the Internet of Things is driving developers to craft new types of components.
Cisco says small cell technology is primed for explosive growth as it plans to connect 3G and LTE cellular networks to Wi-Fi access points that are already widely deployed in many enterprise facilities.
Advocacy group the Electronic Frontier Foundation wants to address the poor security track record of home routers with a new firmware project that will encourage users to share their Internet connection publicly by setting up guest Wi-Fi networks.
Researchers are gearing up to hack an array of different home routers during a contest next month at the Defcon 22 security conference.
The people at a company called aiia (their Web site loads insanely slowly) out of the Ukraine pitched me the SSSSSpeaker (yes, that's how they spell it, it's not a a typo), billed as the world's smallest Bluetooth speaker, and sent me a unit.
New York's plan to turn pay phones into free Wi-Fi stations could be a template for other cities, and bad news for IT departments trying to protect corporate data and intellectual property.
There are many times when your iPhone camera flash just isn't up for the job. Either you need light from a different angle (ever notice how phone-based flashes tend to wash out the subject?) or you need a warmer or cooler flash than your iPhone provides. You, my friend, might be interested in the Nova, a Bluetooth LE flash.
The Wi-Fi Smart Plug is a power outlet adapter that includes Wi-Fi connectivity, letting you turn any electrical device into a connected device for power on/off purposes. With an included app for iOS and Android devices (phones or tablets), users can control the connected appliances wherever they are (whether inside their own home networks or over the cloud).
The consumer electronics industry has spent the last 20 years making everything connect wirelessly to the Internet -- from PCs to TVs, cameras to speakers.
The ultimate eavesdropping solution for people who want to see what their employees, kids or spouse are doing on their Android (or jailbroken iPhone) smartphone.
Apple has made a big push to get iPads in the hands of college students -- and productivity apps such as iWork and now Office for iPad are helping. But one university professor says tablets 'fall far short' of meeting the prerequisites for serious college coursework.
This week's column was totally unintentional - at first it was just three separate roundups of some of the latest devices I've found interesting. But after I completed the reviews, I realized a common thread between all of them - these devices are really small (in fact, the M39p even has "Tiny" as part of its name). While some things in the world are getting larger (displays, smartphones, TVs, etc.), there's still room in the world for smaller gadgets that provide big performance.
A Wi-Fi range extender that tells you where it should go; latest Das Keyboard for fans of clickety-clackety keystrokes
The scoop: WiFi Range Extender (model EX6100), by NETGEAR, about $90
Mobile computing and workplace collaboration experts offer advice on how you can boost communication and productivity among your mobile employees.
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success
- Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- PC Refresh
- This survey was conducted in order to determine the typical PC refresh cycle, the barriers to PC refresh, and key benefits of PC...
- Winning the Paper Wars - capture the content and mobilize the process troops
- In this report, AIIM looks at the reasons for this poor progress, measure the adoption of digital mailrooms, chart the progress of mobile...
- Looking to the Horizon: SDN
- Software-defined networking is one of the hottest buzzwords of 2014, but saying exactly what SDN is can be a challenge. SDN has its...
- The Invisible Upgrade: Moving to 1 GBPS
- Network equipment manufacturers are dropping 10/100 megabits-per-second gear out of their switch product lines and moving to 10/100/1000Mbps in newer products. All Wireless Networking White Papers
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- All Wireless Networking Webcasts