More Wireless Carriers In Depth
For people who frequently travel overseas, it sounds almost too good to be true: unlimited international data roaming and texting at no extra cost. But that's exactly what T-Mobile USA started offering its U.S. users earlier this year as part of its price battle with AT&T.
Computerworld asked readers to rate their mobile data providers on connection speed, reliability, customer service and more. We name the best and the worst services -- and throw in some fun facts about how people use their mobile data networks.
Anyone who dreads hearing one end of a loud phone call all the way from Anchorage to Miami, take heart: The plan to allow cellphones on planes could fail in more ways than an overbooked flight at a snowbound airport on Christmas Eve.
LTE is simultaneously being pushed forward on several fronts, and the result for users will be faster networks, better coverage and the ability to access networks while travelling abroad.
The battle of takeovers among Sprint Nextel, Dish Network, Clearwire and SoftBank has heated up as the Clearwire board of directors recommended that shareholders accept the bid of Dish instead of Sprint's.
Merit Network, the 21st Century Achievement Award winner for mobile access, leads the effort to expand broadband in Michigan.
Nokia's is rebooting its U.S. Windows Phone push with the arrival of the low-cost Lumia 521 on T-Mobile and Lumia 928 for Verizon Wireless, but increasing sales to meaningful volumes in the very competitive U.S. market will not be easy.
Operators and telecom equipment vendors are showing a growing interest in small cells, which aim to give users improved coverage and speeds.
There are still areas in the U.S. that have limited or no wireless telecommunications. How are the four major suppliers handling this?
While large portions of the U.S. are looking forward to faster wireless broadband, some regions don't have even simple cell phone service. What is being done to help?
Two Wi-Fi mobile hotspots offer very different services: The Verizon Wireless JetPack is fast but pricey while the FreedomPop Photon is limited but free.
Shaw reviews the FreedomPop Photon.
If your mobile device doesn't come with cellular broadband, there are several ways you can add it -- but there are advantages and disadvantages to each method.
New technology enables almost everyone reading this to live and work with more freedom and flexibility. Are you missing the boat?
If you're setting up your first email account on your iPhone, simply tap the Mail icon in the dock at the bottom of the home screen. If adding a second or third account, tap Settings, scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars, tap it and then tap Add account...
You draw with your friends. You come up with clever words against them. You even play a game or two of hangman with them. You might as well challenge them to a game of trivia, too.
The U.S. National Telecommunications and Information Administration will step up work on an effort to develop mobile privacy standards on July 12, when the agency meets with mobile carriers, app developers and other stakeholders in the first of a series of meetings on online privacy.
Robber Rabbits and Robber Rabbits HD are two cartoonish physics-based games from Alawar Entertainment.
The protagonist of the N.O.V.A. series tells his AI sidekick that this time, really, he's through. He's going to quit. But like any good Space Marine, he reloads his rifle and jumps back into the fray anyway. Such a moment fairly well encapsulates the N.O.V.A. series: It's a tired and clichA(c)d sci-fi shooter franchise but hey, why stop now?
For me, Tiny Wings sets the gold standard for what a casual game should be on the iOS platform. It's simple to control, fun to play, and the in-game mini-challenges you need to conquer in order to level up keep you coming back for more. It's been a long search trying to find a game that gives Tiny Wings a run for its money, but I think Ski Safari from Defiant Development is more than up to the task. In fact, in some ways, it even betters the Tiny Wings experience.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era
- From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs
- If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Computing eGuide
- In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read... All Wireless Carriers White Papers
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- All Wireless Carriers Webcasts