Wireless Carriers Topic Center
Wireless carrier news, in-depth articles and more
RootMetrics gives Verizon Wireless a big thumbs-up in its latest biannual ranking of wireless network performance in U.S. cities.
Ericsson says it has succeeded in sending data at 5 gigabits per second over a wireless testbed for future "5G" mobile networks.
The German government is dropping Verizon Communications as a service provider because of worries about U.S. spying.
If you've ever been sick with a cold or the flu while traveling, Verizon's new videoconferencing technology could help you reach a doctor for a quick consult from a smartphone or tablet.
John Legere and T-Mobile want to make buying a smartphone more like shopping for a used car. And they mean that in the best possible way.
The total amount of data handled by wireless carriers in the U.S. more than doubled in 2013, an increase driven in large part by video traffic.
In the hunt for more spectrum to speed up mobile networks, Vodafone and Huawei Technologies have successfully tested a technology that lets LTE and GSM share the same frequencies.
Personal information, including Social Security numbers and call records, was accessed for an unknown number of AT&T Mobility customers by people outside of the company, AT&T has confirmed.
Despite the iCloud enhancements and new features Apple talked up at WWDC, don't expect the company to broadly compete in the online storage market.
With reports saying that Sprint and T-Mobile US plan to announce a $32 billion merger this summer, two big questions linger: Would federal regulators approve the deal? And would T-Mobile CEO John Legere run the combined company?
AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless are no longer the only mobile phone games in town -- there are some great no-contract alternatives out there. Here are 16 of them.
For people who frequently travel overseas, it sounds almost too good to be true: unlimited international data roaming and texting at no extra cost. But that's exactly what T-Mobile USA started offering its U.S. users earlier this year as part of its price battle with AT&T.
Computerworld asked readers to rate their mobile data providers on connection speed, reliability, customer service and more. We name the best and the worst services -- and throw in some fun facts about how people use their mobile data networks.
Anyone who dreads hearing one end of a loud phone call all the way from Anchorage to Miami, take heart: The plan to allow cellphones on planes could fail in more ways than an overbooked flight at a snowbound airport on Christmas Eve.
LTE is simultaneously being pushed forward on several fronts, and the result for users will be faster networks, better coverage and the ability to access networks while travelling abroad.
The battle of takeovers among Sprint Nextel, Dish Network, Clearwire and SoftBank has heated up as the Clearwire board of directors recommended that shareholders accept the bid of Dish instead of Sprint's.
Merit Network, the 21st Century Achievement Award winner for mobile access, leads the effort to expand broadband in Michigan.
Nokia's is rebooting its U.S. Windows Phone push with the arrival of the low-cost Lumia 521 on T-Mobile and Lumia 928 for Verizon Wireless, but increasing sales to meaningful volumes in the very competitive U.S. market will not be easy.
Operators and telecom equipment vendors are showing a growing interest in small cells, which aim to give users improved coverage and speeds.
There are still areas in the U.S. that have limited or no wireless telecommunications. How are the four major suppliers handling this?
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Considerations For Effective Software License Management
- For many reasons, software license management has become a critical issue for many IT organizations and enterprise's alike. With many licensing options, hurdles...
- eBay uses 100% OpenSource WSO2 ESB to process more than 1Billion transactions a day
- Along with eBay's success comes a huge demand to ensure reliable, 24x7 availability of the services that enable these transactions. For eBay, that...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things
- The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- REST easy: API Design, Evolution and Connection
- RESTful design increases API performance, reduces development effort, and minimizes operational support burden. By following a few best practices and selecting RESTful tooling,...
- DevOps meets ALM in the Cloud - Cloud DevOps PaaS
- To improve software delivery performance and effectiveness, teams need automation, governance, architecture best practices, and increased team collaboration. Find out more. All Wireless Carriers White Papers
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few.
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless...
- All Wireless Carriers Webcasts