Cloud Computing Topic Center
Cloud computing news, in-depth articles and more
Microsoft plans to enhance its Azure cloud backup and recovery by integrating technology from InMage, a business continuity vendor it just acquired.
In a 3,100 word email to Microsoft's 130,000 employees, CEO Satya Nadella said the firm's two-year-old "devices and services" strategy is dead. So what should Microsoft's new focus be?
IBM, Microsoft, Red Hat and other IT vendors are lending a hand to Google to help build software that enterprises could use to manage their computerized workloads in the cloud.
Microsoft's price cuts for some Office 365 plans was an attempt to keep momentum on its software-by-subscription push, an analyst said.
Oracle's massive annual OpenWorld conference isn't happening until late September, but the vendor recently unveiled details of nearly 1,800 sessions planned for the event that on balance paint a comprehensive picture of what its customers, partners and competitors can expect.
Amazon Web Services is offering a new document sharing service with management and security features designed to appeal to businesses.
Microsoft is continuing its dogfight with Salesforce.com in the customer relationship management software market with a new Dynamics CRM Online cloud service for U.S. government agencies.
Microsoft will revamp its Office 365 lineup for small and midsize businesses (SMBs), adding features, dropping prices and increasing the flexibility to mix and match them with Office 365 plans for enterprises and with stand-alone applications.
Storage vendor EMC has scooped up cloud storage management company TwinStrata, the companies announced Tuesday.
Microsoft will require companies to file individual claims if they want a service credit for the Exchange Online outage of last month.
When it comes to budgeting for cloud software, it's important to have some solid data about the cost of deploying a "zero-feature" update, the likelihood of encountering latent bugs, and the level of effort required for simple developer overhead and housekeeping. While there's some good data and solid advice out there from the Standish Group, as I mentioned in a recent article, I haven't seen any data that's particularly modern or really focused on the harsh realities of cloud software development.
Goldman Sachs is taking Google to court to force the cloud vendor to delete an email accidentally sent to a Gmail user. The consequences of a ruling for Goldman would be devastating.
Microsoft has jumped in with both feet with the release to Preview of a new Microsoft Azure-based tool that helps organizations do Machine Learning and predictive analysis all from a Web console.
Can you name a single activity that consumes more IT staff time and presents more potential exposure to enterprise security risks than maintaining desktop and laptop computers across the enterprise? Despite the widespread use of remote desktop management tools, administrators must periodically descend upon offices and cubicles to upgrade or troubleshoot PCs.
My last post noted that the IT industry appears to suffer from cloud computing ennui, as the number of Google searches for the term over the past two years has dropped significantly. I also said that other evidence indicates that many IT users appear to have put cloud computing in the "done and dusted" category despite not really understanding it very well.
Early adopters share their lessons learned on ramping up, scaling back and avoiding disasters in the cloud. Insider (registration required)
Hardly content to rest on its laurels, Amazon is adding clients in the government, education and nonprofit sectors, vying for public-sector contracts and looking to build its apps marketplace into a research and development hub.
As an industry, we have been looking at cloud-based technologies both from private and public structure and how best to optimize design, engineer and develop such technologies to better optimize the world of wireless and the Internet of Everything.
Gartner's annual Magic Quadrant is a sort of who's who of the cloud computing market. And while VMware made the company's most recent list, it didn't receive the highest of marks.
Many companies look to the public cloud to cut costs, overhead and time to deployment. However, businesses need to understand how dramatically a move to the cloud will affect a key constituency: The IT department.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- InfoTech: Cloud File Sharing
- Organizations are increasingly turning to cloud file sharing solutions to meet end-user's needs for a lightweight and effective collaboration tool. In this report,...
- Accelerating the Delivery Microsoft Office 365
- Many organizations use Office 365's cloud-based mail, collaboration and communication services as the dominant workload. However, as services move to the cloud, data...
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value
- What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Journey to the Hybrid Cloud
- Cloud adoption continues to expand beyond the base of cutting edge early adopters and is now reaching the "early mainstream" stage.
- A Guide to Hybrid Cloud: An Inside Out Approach to Hybrid Cloud
- Hybrid cloud allows you to augment your internal data center resources, providing a flexible and cost-effective solution for a variety of use cases.... All Cloud Computing White Papers
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap...
- Introducing Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery From VMware Cost-effectively protect your business applications in the case of a local disaster or disruptive event. VMware is excited to introduce vCloud Hybrid Service...
- Spotlight On: Private Cloud Endpoint Backup Need total control over your data and destiny? Does your IT strategy mandate on-premises or inside-the-firewall solutions? Then a private cloud approach to...
- IT Can Be Done: How to Protect Enterprise Data Yet Enable Secure Access for End Users Let's face it. Today's enterprise IT is faced with an increasingly challenging landscape, as the proliferation of personal devices in the work place...
- All Cloud Computing Webcasts