Skip the navigation

More Data Center In Depth

Review: VMware VSAN turns storage inside-out

VMware's Virtual SAN 1.0 combines easy setup and management with high availability and high performance -- and freedom from traditional storage systems

How to Install Git, Ruby and Jenkins on Windows

This article provides supplemental instructions to the piece How to Expedite Continuous Testing. Specifically, it explains how to install Git, Ruby and Jenkins on Windows (as opposed to a Mac or Linux environment).

How to Expedite Continuous Testing

The prescription for continuous testing is deceptively simple: Automated unit tests, version control and a continuous integration server. We wanted to first get past the buzzwords and talk about how to actually do it, by getting started with Ruby and GitHub.

5 Uses for the Surveillance Robot of Tomorrow

Robots are essentially a self-contained tribute to the wonders of technology. The most advanced models use fast computer processing, high-definition cameras, artificial intelligence and long-range sensors, all of which give you a pretty good idea where technology is heading. In some ways, a robot even provides a glimmer of the future car and future IT advances.

Shootout at the TCO Corral

A few weeks ago VMware released a blast at Amazon's recently released total cost of ownership (TCO) bake-off model that compared AWS cloud services with the on-premise vSphere suite of virtualization products. VMware called the AWS online tool "biased and inaccurate."

Rebuilt Mobile Apps Help SeaWorld Make a Splash

After three years of poring over how customers used its first mobile app, SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment recently rolled out a new set of apps designed to engage park visitors with a more personalized, interactive experience.

The 3 Best iOS and Android Apps of Summer 2014

If you're an iPhone or iPad user, you probably know that iOS app icons dance around when you tap and hold a finger on them to move or remove one. They do a little jig, hoping to entertain you and thereby save themselves from deletion.

Getting past the most basic physical security of all: Learning to pick locks at DEFCON 22

Much like my experience with learning to hack at RSA, learning to pick locks was something that I was very interested in learning how to do, but approached with much trepidation given that I had zero experience with the practice. Nevertheless I thought I'd give it a shot, so I headed down to the Lockpicking Village at this year's DEFCON 22 so I could be shown the ropes.

Why Analytics Makes Tesla Better Than Jaguar

The differences that Tesla represents to the auto market fascinate me. The firm is run more like a cutting-edge Apple than a typical car company such as Jaguar a and, in fact, exceeds Apple in the application of advanced technologies such as analytics. This is largely how Tesla has succeeded where most new car companies, including Fisker, have failed.

What Does the Future of Work Look Like?

With Microsoft moving into a "mobile first, cloud first" world, an Apple smartwatch coming any day now and everyone else buying into the cloud computing hype, it can be easy to lose sight of what all of these developments do: Drive business forward by enabling employees to be more productive. Essentially, it's about the future of work.

Apple, Samsung agree to settle patent disputes outside US

Apple and Samsung Electronics have agreed to end their litigation outside the U.S.

The challenge of securing embedded devices and IoT on display

Every year the numbers and the types of devices security professionals find themselves having to secure from attacks keep growing, and there's certainly no sign of that letting up at Black Hat 2014 this year.

Data Scientist Role Shifting to Focus on Developers

Anant Jhingran is no fan of the term 'data scientist.'

Build your own private cloud

Borrowing from public cloud architecture and technologies, the private cloud weaves a new management layer around virtualized data center systems

How to Extend Your Home Wi-Fi Network

I love my Victorian flat. But like many buildings from that era, it has lots of doors, lots of walls, and lots of old-school wiring, all of which interfere with my Wi-Fi network. My signal is quite strong in my office, where my router is, but the farther I move away the weaker the signal. I got tired of watching my iPhone drop connections in the living room so I decided to extend my network.

Virtual servers still face real security threats

Don't let the word "virtual" in virtual servers fool you. You're the only one who knows it's virtual. From the perspective of the virtual server itself, the devices connected to it, applications running on it, end-users connecting to it, or security threats trying to compromise it, the server is very, very real. A new survey from Kaspersky Labs found that many IT professionals understand that securing virtual environments is important, but don't fully understand the threats or how to properly defend against them.

Enterprise Wearables Present Tech Challenges and Management Pitfalls

This week, wearable technology vendors, evangelists, executives and experts of all ilk gathered in New York City's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, at the Wearable Tech Expo, to convene and talk about today's hottest wearables.

Technology Leapfrogging: How the Cloud, Tablets and Phablets Advance Tech Adoption

There's something to be said for traditions. After all, they're proven entities that have worked for decades. But while that standard Sinatra song may still find an audience at the weekend cookout, the same can't be said for standard technologies.

10 Things You Should Know About Apple's Swift

Apple recently unveiled Swift, a new language to replace Objective-C for OS X and iOS application development. Apple won't accept submissions built using Swift to the iOS or Mac App Store until the fall, when iOS 8 and the next version of OS X (Yosemite) ship, so there's still some time to learn the ins and outs of this new programming language.

Whatever happened to Green IT?

Remember when "green computing" was all the rage? Companies competed for green awards, virtualized their data centers, set up e-waste committees, launched double-sided printing initiatives and activated power management features on PCs.

Internet of Things: Get the latest!
Internet of Things

Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!