Skip the navigation

Data Center Topic Center

Data Center news, in-depth articles and more

Data Center News

End for Windows Server 2003 support could push sales in '15

Server sales could spike with the expiration of extended support for Microsoft's Windows Server 2003 OS in July next year, a Dell executive said.
Read more...

Amazon isn't the only company that wants to fly drones

Amazon made headlines this month when it sought permission from the U.S. government to test its drone-based delivery service, but it's far from the only company that's applied for such approval.

Red Hat aims to standardize Linux for 64-bit ARM servers

Red Hat has developed a version of the Linux operating system that can be used to test chips and associated hardware based on the ARMv8-A 64-bit architecture for servers with the aim of standardizing that market.

AMD's 64-bit ARM board points toward x86 coexistence

Advanced Micro Devices is moving closer to a motherboard design that will accept both x86 and ARM chips with the shipment of its first 64-bit ARM board.

Google, Linaro develop custom Android edition for Project Ara

Google is working with open-source development organization Linaro to develop a special edition of Android for the Project Ara customizable smartphone.

Solar power war between U.S. and Asia escalates

New tariffs imposed by the U.S. on Chinese imports of solar cells and (for the first time) Taiwan has infuriated some in the solar power industry who believe the steep taxes will adversely affect businesses and consumers.

Non-IBM Power8 servers to appear early next year

The first third-party servers licensed to use IBM's Power architecture will be on the market early in 2015.

IBM aims to disrupt supercomputing market with cloud enticements

IBM is offering a potentially powerful incentive in its attempts to entice organizations to move supercomputing jobs to the cloud: a high-speed network communications link called InfiniBand.

Google rival slams EU Commission over antitrust settlement proposals

One of the complainants in an antitrust case against Google has slammed the European Commission for apparently adopting wholesale Google's proposal to settle the case, while giving complainants no fair chance to express their views on the settlement. Meanwhile, the Commission is considering revising the terms of the settlement, according to media reports.

How Nokia both helped and hindered Microsoft's earnings

Microsoft paid more than $7 billion for Nokia's handset and services business, and the jury is still out as to what it means for its future. In the past quarter it boosted Microsoft's revenue but also ate into its profit.

Data Center In Depth

How IT Can Scare Off BYOD Monsters in the Closet

When it comes to security risks, BYOD is the gift that keeps on giving. But what about the devices that your employees used to use, gave up on and, months later, finally dug out of the closet to sell? That's another issue to wrestle with. Here are seven ways to beat the monsters.

Meet Windows Server's BYOD features

Workplace join, work folders and other new Windows Server 2012 R2 features help beleaguered IT staffers manage the jungle of end user devices.

How to Extend Your Home Wi-Fi Network

I love my Victorian flat. But like many buildings from that era, it has lots of doors, lots of walls, and lots of old-school wiring, all of which interfere with my Wi-Fi network. My signal is quite strong in my office, where my router is, but the farther I move away the weaker the signal. I got tired of watching my iPhone drop connections in the living room so I decided to extend my network.

Enterprise Wearables Present Tech Challenges and Management Pitfalls

This week, wearable technology vendors, evangelists, executives and experts of all ilk gathered in New York City's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, at the Wearable Tech Expo, to convene and talk about today's hottest wearables.

Top open source network management tools

As networking continues to expand and diversify, encompassing a growing number of wired and wireless devices, the demand for network monitoring tools remains high. While feature-packed commercial products abound, the growing market for monitoring tools has also fueled robust offerings from the open source community.

Will BYOD Give Rise to the Enterprise Genius Bar?

As the evasion of consumer tech changes IT, it makes sense that support for consumer devices would start to reflect the retail experience. Think Apples Genius Bar. Mike Burgio of Inergex, an IT services firm, talks about why IT leaders need to think about hitting the bar.

First look: Windows Server Blue beta shows compelling improvements

There's a lot to like in Windows Server 2012 R2, but the key question centers around how Microsoft will handle licensing, our reviewer says. That alone might be the gating factor for the eventual success of this OS release.

What's Next in IT: Intelligent Systems, Stressed-out Staffs

The future of IT will be systems that are intelligent enough to detect and solve problems without human interaction, CIO.com columnist Rob Enderle conjectures. This will be great for analytics but bad for security--and it may leave IT workers reaching for Valium.

IT on the edge: CIOs who (literally) keep the lights on

CIOs in emerging economies have to be creative to keep IT up and running -- addressing redundancy, navigating a thicket of sometimes onerous regulations, and in general doing more with less. Insider (registration required)

How Microsoft's Delayed Reorganization Is Fixing the Loyalty Gap

Word's out that Microsoft is poised to reorganize itself as a 'device and services' company. CEO Steve Ballmer has been trying to do this for a decade, but executives disloyal to him--or still loyal to Bill Gates--often got in Ballmer's way. But Redmond's successes, including Azure and Office 365, suggest this culture may finally be changing.

Internet of Things: Get the latest!
Internet of Things

Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!