More Healthcare IT In Depth
Healthcare is broken. No one disputes that. No one lacks perspective on how to fix it, either. The challenge, though, is disrupting a system that makes more money treating sickness than it does preventing it. Technology and innovation can play a part, but so can flipping the entire care model on its head.
GE Healthcare CTO Nevin Zimmermann talks with IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant about mobile, cloud, big data and more. Zimmermann also discusses how his team is evolving and why CIOs must embrace technology changes.
"I spent $174 million on a website and all I got was this bad press."
More than a month after it went live, a couple of large questions remain about the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' botched launch of HealthCare.gov.
In the early days of Healthcare.gov, I praised the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for publishing a dataset with sample rates for every health plan participating in the federal health insurance marketplace.
An innovative program at Rush University Medical Center will support returning veterans by helping them find careers in the IT field.
With demand increasing for IT practitioners in healthcare, can tech pros in other industries switch niches? Healthcare IT practitioners offer advice on what you need to make a move. (Registration required.)
With the government closed for business, private-sector firms should consider poaching public-sector IT talent to fill open tech positions.
For Dr. Bob Laskowski, president and CEO of Christiana Care Health System, technology means empowering physicians and patients.
Healthcare reform in the United States focuses mainly on providing coverage to the uninsured, and odds are good that your company offers health insurance to most employees. However, there are still reporting and security requirements you'll need to deal with -- and you'll have to be a vocal leader to make sure these tasks are a high priority.
Vanguard Health Systems' IDology platform identifies target populations for marketing efforts, bringing in new revenue.
Armed with data from more than 2,400 healthcare providers, Novation helps hospitals ensure that they're getting the best prices on everything from latex gloves to surgical equipment, offering a mobile app that pushes alerts on changing prices to decision-makers.
Pharmaceutical services provider Quintiles created a software platform that integrates data and processes associated with a drug's life cycle and collects, cleans and prepares that data for analysis, helping to speed new drugs to market.
Physicians connect to Express Scripts' ExpressPath platform via mobile device or desktop to determine how much a prescription will cost before the purchase, resulting in an average savings for patients of 10% to 15% on specialty drugs and speeding up the approval process.
Scott Blanchette, senior vice president of IT services at Vanguard Health Systems, stays competitive with outside service providers by emphasizing transparency of pricing and delivering business results.
This CIO wants IT employees who are dedicated to the company's mission of using IT to fight healthcare fraud and waste.
Meet Kathy Moore, CIO of the West Virginia Health Information Network. She's helping to create a secure electronic health information system so providers could access and exchange patient data.
Seattle Children's Hospital isn't your typical BYOD story. The hospital's CIO reports an interesting twist: BYOD is resuscitating ill-fated virtual desktop infrastructure technology.
The majority of today's clinical trials use paper surveys or single-purpose handheld devices to gather patient data. Web forms improve this process, but the smartphone could be a leap forward for the 'BYOD clinical trial'--if a notably risk-averse industry is willing to embrace the change.
Healthcare providers are under siege by massive amounts of data. This is forcing the industry to upgrade its aging storage infrastructures, architectures and systems. Where that data is being stored may come as a surprise.
Johns Hopkins, OhioHealth, Kaiser Permanente and other top healthcare organizations each won a place on Computerworld's Best Places to Work in IT 2013 list. Honorees say the distinction helps them both recruit and retain top talent.
Want to join this elite group? Nominate your organization for our 2014 list.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care
- Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community
- With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- The Telemedicine Revolution: Patients Can't Wait
- How high bandwidth, low latency ethernet communications is changing the practice of medicine. Comcast Ethernet offers the robust, scalable backbone for telemedicine for...
- Healthcare Firm Ramps Up for Claims Processing Spikes
- Huge increases in claims processing loads and stringent SLAs for Medicaid patients prompted Molina Healthcare to enhance their IT infrastructure with VCE.
- Escape Plan: How Integrated IT Portfolio Management Helps Organizations Clear the Chaos
- Meaningful Use, ICD-10 compliance, EMR Implementation--do you feel lost in this ever-growing jungle? All Healthcare IT White Papers
- IT Transformation: Making the Move to Services IT transformation is happening in businesses of all sizes
- How SIEM Addresses the Challenges of Big Security Data This webcast will help you understand today's big data security challenges and how intelligent and scalable SIEM solutions give IT the tools and...
- BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 In Action Designed for business leaders, IT decision-makers and IT administrators, this webcast features organizations that have migrated to BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 - or...
- BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 Implementation Solutions - BlackBerry Technical Services to Make your Deployment Fast, Effective and Robust Find out how BlackBerry® implementation and migration services can help you optimize your Enterprise Mobility Management infrastructure and ease your transition to BlackBerry®...
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5 to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 - Lifting The Hood This webcast takes a close look at the differences between BlackBerry Enterprise® Service 10 and BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 5. Learn how BlackBerry Enterprise...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts