More Financial IT In Depth
Technology is about to take a big slice of the traditional banking business. Bankers have been slow to see what's coming, but they're starting to realize what's at stake.
The IT department at financial services firm TIAA-CREF is fostering innovation that reinvents how the company operates, says CIO Annabelle Bexiga
Intel's US$740 million investment in software company Cloudera will help sell more x86 chips in Hadoop installations, but it could also be a defensive move to maintain its server lead from the emerging threat posed by 64-bit ARM servers.
Under CIO Victor Fetter's leadership at LPL Financial, the IT group has moved from 'working on projects' to delivering solutions that shape the business and the marketplace.
Aerohive Networks sells not just enterprise Wi-Fi gear but also cloud-based software designed to make it easier to set up and manage a customer's entire wired and wireless network. Other wireless LAN vendors are moving in the same direction, including Cisco Systems, the biggest seller of enterprise Wi-Fi, which acquired Meraki Networks in 2012.
Mobile payments have still not caught on as U.S. users stick with their credit cards. Now the innovation is coming in the form of new debit cards.
IT pros may have shied away from financial services during the industry's recent upheavals, but it now represents a vibrant employment segment for those who understand its adherence to security, compliance and reliability. Insider (registration required)
Unemployed? Don't sit at home and wait (and hope) for an opportunity. Volunteering your IT skills is a way to keep current and show potential employers your business and technical acumen, your character and your drive.
SAP is set to release its second-quarter results on Thursday, and as usual market watchers will be paying close attention given the vendor's bellwether status within the enterprise software market.
With massive amounts of data, low latency, hundreds of connection points and no margin for error, financial trading is grown-up IT. Liquidnet does it in more than 40 markets with a staff of just 300. Here's how the company makes it work.
The world of stock broking runs on one word: Speed. But manual processes could play spoilsport and derail business, giving competition an opportunity. Kotak Securities strove to change that and, on its way, created an industry-first.
App vendor, ingogo, has secured a $1.5million investment from leading investors in an attempt to fund further expansion of the business' taxi booking and payment platform.
The ability to trade securities at nanosecond speeds has become a reality.
This IT leader created an innovation lab, where team members partner to develop ideas at breakneck speed.
Banks in Asia Pacific are expected to grow IT spending by 8.8% in the coming year according to IDC Financial Insights. This is higher than the 7% growth experienced during 2012, noted Michael Araneta, consulting and research Director for IDC Financial Insights Asia/Pacific.
It's hard to remember life without ATMs. In Hong Kong, we can transfer funds, pay our utility bills and even settle tax demand-notes using an ATM. And they even dispense cash.
Taking Dell private is a bold move, but won't ensure success. If you can't recognize opportunities and execute properly as a public company, buying yourself shelter from investors only takes you so far. The bigger challenge will be rejiggering the corporate culture and core processes to make more innovation possible.
She is the first woman president of FICCI, a Padma Shri recipient, a Harvard Business School alumnus, and the woman at the helm of one of the world's most renowned banks. Naina Lal Kidwai needs no introduction. As the group GM and country head of HSBC India, Kidwai has been instrumental in charting the growth path of HSBC in India for the past 10 years. In this interview, Kidwai talks about the changes shaping the banking sector, how IT is aiding private banks do a one up on public sector entities, and how it is redefining banking.
Catherine Bessant's journey to the CIO role at Bank of America wasn't your standard ascent through the ranks of IT. Bessant, now Global Technology and Operations Executive, leads a team of more than 100,000 employees and contractors who handle all technology and operations for the giant financial institution. But prior to tackling IT, Bessant was president of Global Corporate Banking, Global Treasury Services and the Global Product Solutions groups. She's also served as chief marketing officer for the bank.
Even if you're knee-deep in regulations, it is possible to get the benefits other kinds of companies do from being active in social media. Here's how some approach it.
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
- It's Your Data - Own It! View Now>>
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
- Management Benefits of Individualized CRM. View Now>>
- Delivering the true potential of CRM through the individual
- The benefits to the individual and the entire business. View Now>>
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
- Three-Year TCO Analysis. Read more>> All Financial IT White Papers
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap...
- Introducing Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery From VMware Cost-effectively protect your business applications in the case of a local disaster or disruptive event. VMware is excited to introduce vCloud Hybrid Service...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for SAP HANA® Deploy SAP HANA® fast and with low risk. VCE brings together all of the necessary components for SAP HANA® into a single, standardized...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- All Financial IT Webcasts