More Financial IT In Depth
Mobile payments have still not caught on as U.S. users stick with their credit cards. Now the innovation is coming in the form of new debit cards.
IT pros may have shied away from financial services during the industry's recent upheavals, but it now represents a vibrant employment segment for those who understand its adherence to security, compliance and reliability. Insider (registration required)
Unemployed? Don't sit at home and wait (and hope) for an opportunity. Volunteering your IT skills is a way to keep current and show potential employers your business and technical acumen, your character and your drive.
SAP is set to release its second-quarter results on Thursday, and as usual market watchers will be paying close attention given the vendor's bellwether status within the enterprise software market.
With massive amounts of data, low latency, hundreds of connection points and no margin for error, financial trading is grown-up IT. Liquidnet does it in more than 40 markets with a staff of just 300. Here's how the company makes it work.
The world of stock broking runs on one word: Speed. But manual processes could play spoilsport and derail business, giving competition an opportunity. Kotak Securities strove to change that and, on its way, created an industry-first.
App vendor, ingogo, has secured a $1.5million investment from leading investors in an attempt to fund further expansion of the business' taxi booking and payment platform.
The ability to trade securities at nanosecond speeds has become a reality.
This IT leader created an innovation lab, where team members partner to develop ideas at breakneck speed.
Banks in Asia Pacific are expected to grow IT spending by 8.8% in the coming year according to IDC Financial Insights. This is higher than the 7% growth experienced during 2012, noted Michael Araneta, consulting and research Director for IDC Financial Insights Asia/Pacific.
It's hard to remember life without ATMs. In Hong Kong, we can transfer funds, pay our utility bills and even settle tax demand-notes using an ATM. And they even dispense cash.
Taking Dell private is a bold move, but won't ensure success. If you can't recognize opportunities and execute properly as a public company, buying yourself shelter from investors only takes you so far. The bigger challenge will be rejiggering the corporate culture and core processes to make more innovation possible.
She is the first woman president of FICCI, a Padma Shri recipient, a Harvard Business School alumnus, and the woman at the helm of one of the world's most renowned banks. Naina Lal Kidwai needs no introduction. As the group GM and country head of HSBC India, Kidwai has been instrumental in charting the growth path of HSBC in India for the past 10 years. In this interview, Kidwai talks about the changes shaping the banking sector, how IT is aiding private banks do a one up on public sector entities, and how it is redefining banking.
Catherine Bessant's journey to the CIO role at Bank of America wasn't your standard ascent through the ranks of IT. Bessant, now Global Technology and Operations Executive, leads a team of more than 100,000 employees and contractors who handle all technology and operations for the giant financial institution. But prior to tackling IT, Bessant was president of Global Corporate Banking, Global Treasury Services and the Global Product Solutions groups. She's also served as chief marketing officer for the bank.
Even if you're knee-deep in regulations, it is possible to get the benefits other kinds of companies do from being active in social media. Here's how some approach it.
Few people will tell you frankly -- and many would struggle to even acknowledge - their regrets, weaknesses or strengths, especially those sitting on the executive boards of the UK's top companies. But then Jackie Hunt, chief financial officer of FTSE 100 insurer Standard Life, is an exception in many senses.
If you think SAP equals ERP, Bill McDermott would like a few minutes to set you straight about the 2012 version of the software giant, which he claims is in the midst of "an intellectual renewal." McDermott has been co-CEO -- along with Jim Hagemann Snabe -- of SAP since 2010 and has helped broaden the company's strategy beyond traditional applications and analytics to the cloud, mobile, Big Data and a bet-the-business focus on real-time computing with the HANA in-memory database at the forefront. Insider (registration required)
When it comes to giving Uncle Sam his due, we're dealing with an embarrassment of riches. Want to use an online service to prepare and file your tax return? You've got at least five online tax preparation sites to pick from. More comfortable with traditional desktop products? I've looked at both TurboTax Premiere 2011 from Intuit and At Home Premium 2011 from H&R Block. And if you're turning to an iPhone or iPad for an increasing number of day-to-day tasks, tax app makers have something to offer as well.
The head of Bank of America's Global Technology & Operations group aims to streamline and modernize back-office operations. Insider (registration required)
Finance, working with IT, increasingly must manage the serious risks, from planning to handling fallout.
Computerworld's Best Places to Work in IT 2013 list featured Quicken Loans, Securian, Vanguard and other top finance organizations. Honorees say the distinction helps them recruit top talent and boost staff morale.
Want to join this elite group? Nominate your organization for our 2014 list.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time
- This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price
- In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Hedge Your Bets
- This report explains how visibility and increased governance is key to reducing risk.
- In the Firing Line
- CEOs Are Increasingly Being Held Accountable; How susceptible is the CEO's reputation to poor performance across the project portfolio?
- The CISO's Guide To Virtualization Security
- This guide describes the security challenges within virtualized environments and shows how to apply the concepts of Forrester's Zero Trust Model of information... All Financial IT White Papers
- Live Webcast Research Report: The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Live Webcast The Freedom to Run Your Business Your Way Vendors are challenged to create flexible systems that customers can tailor to particular business strategies and industry needs. But the flexibility should not...
- Live Webcast The Business Value of Human Capital Management for Finance View now >>
- HR and Finance Were made for Each Other View now >>
- The Value of Human Capital for Finance Professionals View now >>
- The Business Value of Human Capital Management for Finance View now >>
- The Freedom to Run Your Business Your Way Vendors are challenged to create flexible systems that customers can tailor to particular business strategies and industry needs. But the flexibility should not...
- Research Report: The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- All Financial IT Webcasts