More Windows In Depth
Dell's Original Equipment Manufacturer division makes custom PCs for companies in a variety of industries. It also makes money. With sales of plain ol' out-of-the-box machines on the decline, this might point to the future of the PC.
In Windows 8.1 Update, Microsoft may be finally getting it right: The latest version of its operating system finally bridges the gap between touch and traditional computing.
There's no question that today's Microsoft is a whole new company. Many of the changes announced under the leadership of CEO Satya Nadella were initiated under his predecessor, Steve Ballmer. But it's clear that it's a whole new Microsoft.
With its Enterprise Mobility Suite, Microsoft will make it easier for companies to manage a range of devices, including those running Apple's iOS and Google's Android. It's a smart move, says columnist Ryan Faas.
The end of Microsoft support is fast approaching, and the company still has a lot of machines running the old Windows operating system.
It's an increasingly mobile world -- and the mobile future of Windows is dubious. To better accommodate end users, CIOs would be wise to consider these three alternatives to Windows on the desktop -- Chrome, Android and Ubuntu.
We look at three Windows 8.1 convertibles that can transform into laptops, tablets or presentation devices, and try to discover how useful they really are.
If you're having a rough time with your Windows 8 computer, several options are available to smooth out the bumps
More and more for Windows users, there's no OS like an old OS.
We test Lenovo's latest ThinkPad X1 Carbon Touch ultrabook, which is sleek and powerful, offers an impressive display and comes with an interesting keyboard innovation.
While clinging to the 11-year-old OS after Microsoft issues its last security patch in April is defensible, the security risks are going to keep mounting.
The choice of Satya Nadella as CEO suggests that the consumer-market party is over for the company, as it turns its attention to the unglamorous world of infrastructure.
Microsoft appears to be backing off on its biggest user interface fiasco since Microsoft Bob: In the Windows 8.1 update, the desktop rather than Metro reportedly will be the default interface.
When you're running a large-scale simulation or editing a professional video, you need more computing power than most laptops can give. In this roundup, we review three high-powered Windows mobile workstations.
We billion-plus customers would like the next head honcho in Redmond to address these dozen action items
Yes, Windows 8's been a failure. It's been worse than Vista. But is the solution really to push out a new operating system in double-quick time?
What went wrong? The answer could keep your IT team from a similar design fiasco.
Work Folders, new to Windows Server 2012 R2, helps administrators manage user-created data in a BYOD environment.
Looking for a laptop with serious processing power? CIO.com put three high-end laptops -- the Soni Vaio Flip 15, the HP ZBook 15 and the Acer Aspire V3 -- to the photo- and video-editing test to see which offers the best bang for the buck.
Could the Chromebook knock out Windows on the desktop? Don't bet against it.
Register for FREE now! »
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits
- This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage
- Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About
- As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business
- View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
All Windows White Papers