Hardware Topic Center
Hardware news, views, technology trends and more
Advanced Micro Devices' bottom line changed from black to red on Thursday when the company posted a loss after two straight quarters of profits.
Intel shipped 5 million processors for tablets in the first quarter, but profits fell as PC sales remained weak.
Google's one-day sale of Google Glass seems to have been a success with all units sold out, a blog post by the search giant suggests.
Apple's inability to meet demand for its Mac Pro desktop computer has surpassed that of its most egregious Mac production problem in memory, the debacle over the all-in-one iMac of late 2012 and early 2013.
Failing to hear any further pings from the missing Malaysian airliner, searchers today began using an autonomous underwater torpedo-shaped robot.
Google has invested in robotics company Savioke, which plans to produce a robot that could work in places such as nursing homes and hospitals.
The looming threat of running an unsupported OS wasn't enough to save PC shipments from continuing their slide in the first quarter.
Aerial videography drone maker DJI introduced its next generation quad-copter, the Phantom 2 Vision Plus, at NAB in Las Vegas Monday.
Intel is bringing peer-to-peer computer networking capabilities to Thunderbolt 2 with a feature that allows Macs -- and soon, PCs -- to connect directly for high-speed data transfers.
Hewlett-Packard's new Z Turbo Drive solid-state drives will be faster than conventional SSDs that plug into hard-drive slots, the company said.
The next generation of USB cables, the Type-C, will offer faster data streams, an increased ability to power devices, and better ease of use.
The mainframe was supposed to go extinct decades ago, but it's abundant in many habitats. Same goes for the PC, which seems to have adapted for survival better than once thought. Both the mainframe and the PC offer evolutionary advantages that newer, more sophisticated species still struggle to match.
The new USB Power Delivery spec turns the capabilities of the USB port on their head.
Riverbed Granite 2.5 eliminates remote office server administration and backup pains by delivering iSCSI and Fibre Channel storage over the WAN
Hybrids -- laptops whose displays detach to become tablets -- were designed to allow users to have one device with many uses. But do they work as advertised? We talked to some users to find out.
The data transfer speed improvements that Seagate has made to their drives is remarkably impressive.
The second desktop system to use Google's Chrome OS, the Asus Chromebox is a simple, inexpensive and unobtrusive alternative to traditional desktops.
Trying to protect your expanding virtual machine (VM) empire will require a security product that can enforce policies, prevent VMs from being terminated or infected, and deliver the virtual equivalents of firewalls, IPS and anti-virus solutions.
Netgear's better, faster rack-mount NAS and iSCSI SAN makes the case for enterprise workloads with read and write caching and unlimited snapshots
The notebook features a lightweight yet tough finish, and the latest tech specs; up to 16GB of memory; storage options up to 1TB hard drive or 256GB SSD; 802.11ac Wi-Fi.
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era
- From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs
- If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Computing eGuide
- In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read... All Hardware White Papers
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- All Hardware Webcasts