Thirteen patches planned in next Microsoft security update
The biggest patch roundup in months is due out Tuesday
IDG News Service - IT administrators may find themselves grappling with triskaidekaphobia on Tuesday when Microsoft Corp. releases a flood of 13 new security patches, including several critical updates.
The release, part of Microsoft's regularly scheduled monthly security update, is the company's biggest patch roundup in months. Included will be nine Windows updates, at least one of which is rated critical. Also in the bundle will be a moderate-risk update for Microsoft's SharePoint Services and Office; a .Net Framework update rated "important"; a critical update affecting Office and Visual Studio; and a critical update affecting Windows, Windows Media Player and MSN Messenger.
Microsoft announced the number of planned patches in a security bulletin advance notification message posted to its TechNet Web site. The company has adopted a schedule of releasing security patches in batches on the second Tuesday of each month.
Details on this month's patches will not be available until they are released Tuesday.
Microsoft plans to host a webcast at 2 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on Wednesday to outline technical details of the updates, followed by a question-and-answer session. This month's webcast has been extended by an hour to allow for extra question-and-answer time.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- Preventing Sophisticated Attacks: Anti-Evasion & Advanced Evasion Techniques McAfee Next Generation Firewall applies sophisticated analysis techniques specifically to detect advanced evasion techniques (AET).
- The Security Industry's Dirty Little Secret The debate over advanced evasion techniques (AETs) This report summarizes the findings of a McAfee commissioned research group to determine the level of understanding IT security professionals have about AETs...
- Demand More, Get the Most from the Move to a Next-Generation Firewall Beyond the basics in a next generation firewall, to protect your investment you should demand other valuable features: intrusion prevention, contextual rules, advanced...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!