Q&A: EMI exec on SOA integration of Web sites
Seth Brady projects the effort will cut manual input by 30%
Computerworld - EMI Group PLC, owner of recording companies EMI, Capitol Records and Virgin Records, is building a service-oriented architecture (SOA) to more easily integrate and manage content on various artist, manager and fan Web sites. EMI estimates that the first phase of the project, launched last May, will eliminate about 30% of its manual entry on Web sites.
Seth Brady, director of application services, corporate and Web development at EMI Music North America, spoke to Computerworld about the Web services project.
What is the background of EMI's Web services project? We [were using] multiple vendors for hosting Web sites for our labels. There were very [few] standards for how content like artist news was managed on any of these Web sites. We knew that as we moved all these existing Web sites into the new environment [by consolidating hosting], we were in a unique position to figure out how to syndicate our content.
Data is centralized and served up through XML Web services. If any of the sources of data change, there is no impact to the front end of the Web site. Before, if you ever upgraded any of the Web sites, anything as simple as moving a database involved multiple issues with needing to do work on the back end because it was all point-to-point integration.
What have been some of the advantages of using Web services? The Web services themselves have given us a layer of abstraction from the Web site on one end to the corporate data on the back end. It was much easier to centrally manage and leave front-end design elements in the hands of the label and artist managers.
How did you tackle challenges in the project? One of the things we did was to work with Avanade, who is our systems integration consultant, and use their [SOA framework]. That allowed us to take advantage of things like auditing and logging, and some of those types of features that we didn't have to write ourselves but could get from a proven framework. Avanade helped us reduce the amount of time we needed to invest in those kind of basic capabilities and refocus internal development on issues specific to EMI's business.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to...