It's official: Oracle closes on PeopleSoft acquisition
The 18-month fight between the two companies ended Friday
IDG News Service - As expected, Oracle Corp. closed its $10.3 billion acquisition of PeopleSoft Inc. on Friday, putting an end to a rancorous 18-month struggle between the two companies and making PeopleSoft, once the No. 2 supplier of enterprise application software, a wholly owned Oracle subsidiary.
Oracle filed a merger certificate with the secretary of state's office for the state of Delaware at 9:01 a.m. EST Friday morning, making the takeover official, said Bob Wynne, an Oracle spokesman. "The acquisition paperwork is complete, and we are well into the process of integrating the two companies," he said.
PeopleSoft's shareholders had agreed to sell more than 97% of the company's outstanding stock, or about 388.7 million shares, by the time Oracle's latest tender offer closed at 8 p.m. EST Thursday, the company said. Oracle had already secured enough stock to give it control of the company but needed at least 90% to bring the deal to a rapid close, Wynne said.
The merger will make Oracle the world's second-largest seller of business applications software behind SAP AG. Oracle has said it needs the acquisition to give it the size and heft it requires to compete effectively in the applications market.
Oracle's hostile takeover bid was initially rejected by PeopleSoft's management and opposed by U.S. antitrust regulators, who said it would harm competition and lead to higher prices. A California judge rejected that argument in September, and on Dec. 13 Oracle announced that PeopleSoft had agreed to be acquired for $26.50 per share.
The remaining 3% of PeopleSoft shareholders who have not yet tendered their shares will be paid the $26.50 offer price, Wynne said. "Some people assume the shares will be transferred to Oracle stock, but they won't," he said.
Oracle has said it will release an upgrade to PeopleSoft's main product lines, but eventually it plans to build a single product suite that merges what it sees as the best features and modules of the two companies' products.
Oracle has set Friday as the date for notifying employees who will be laid off as a result of the deal, and plans to make a webcast to customers and partners on Jan. 18 to elaborate on its postmerger plans.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts