High-tech truck toll system finally launched in Germany
The GPS-based system had been plagued with problems
IDG News Service - Germany's high-tech truck toll system began operation on Saturday without a glitch, according to the country's traffic ministry.
That's good news for a system that had been plagued by technical and management problems, resulting in a delay of more than 18 months and billions of euros in lost revenue.
Toll Collect uses Global Positioning System technology to track distances trucks travel on toll roads and Global System for Mobile Communications wireless networks to transmit data for billing.
With the help of GPS and sensors installed in control bridges to confirm the satellite readings, computerized onboard units installed in trucks locate the position of the vehicles, track their routes, calculate toll fees and transmit this data at regular intervals via GSM to a data center for billing. Another 3,700 roadside terminals at service stations are available to drivers who prefer to pay manually.
Trucks weighing more than 12 tons must pay 16 cents per kilometer to use Germany's autobahn network, which spans 12,000 kilometers and is Europe's largest transit system. More than one-third of the trucks using the highway system come from outside the country.
About 800,000 trucks use German highways every day, according to the traffic ministry. So far, about 320,000 of them have installed onboard units, the ministry said.
Toll Collect GmbH, the operator of the road toll, is owned by a consortium of three companies: car maker DaimlerChrysler AG; Deutsche Telekom AG, which is Germany's largest network operator; and French motorway operator Cofiroute.
The consortium suffered a setback when it encountered software problems with the initial onboard unit. It agreed to deploy a simplified version, which is to be replaced with a full version later next year.
The German government says it hopes to generate more than $4 billion annually from the system. It plans to reinvest a large share of this revenue in the country's road, rail and waterway transportation infrastructure.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts