Brief: eBay snaps up Rent.com for $415M
Enters online apartment rentals market
IDG News Service - EBay Inc. has agreed to acquire property listings site Rent.com Inc. for $415 million in its latest move to expand beyond online auctions, the company said late yesterday.
EBay will pay about $385 million in stock and $30 million in cash for the Santa Monica, Calif., company. Rent.com was launched nationally in 2001 and is the most visited site for apartment listings in the U.S., eBay said.
Apartment owners list properties for free and pay a fee when the property is rented. The privately held company expects 2004 revenues to exceed $40 million, eBay said. The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2005 pending approval from regulators and Rent.com's stockholders.
In August, eBay acquired a 25% stake in San Francisco-based Craigslist to beef up its classified advertising business. Last month, it scooped up Holland's top classifieds site, Marktplaats.nl, for about $290 million.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- EDI in China: Developing a Strategy for B2B Integration Success IBM solutions for EDI have helped companies across the globe securely connect and build partner communities.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Polycom Virtual Meeting Rooms Video The conference room is the hub for group collaboration. With Polycom, you can extend the productivity and efficiency benefits of face-to-face meetings beyond...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All E-business White Papers | Webcasts