Riding the Grid Wave
Wolfgang Gentzsch says grids are coming in three waves
Computerworld - Wolfgang Gentzsch says grid computing will come in three waves. The first, well under way, primarily involves the academic research community. The second, just beginning, brings in corporations as users. The third, still some years off, will add individual consumers to the grid. At that point, the Internet will be "the grid," says Gentzsch, managing director of grid computing and networking services at MCNC Inc. A preview of the grid can be glimpsed in the National LambdaRail testbed network, for which MCNC will serve as a technical support center. Gentzsch recently told Computerworld's Gary H. Anthes what it will take to ride the waves.
What's moving us into the second, corporate, wave of grid computing? The IT vendors have their grid story in place -- IBM, Sun, Oracle and the others -- for the next generation of products that they want to ship and make money with. But there's no money in research grids, and consumer grids are far out. So the current interest is in the enterprise grid.
But are users interested? Grid technology can improve equipment utilization from 30% on average to something like 70% to 80%. So the interest of end-user companies has grown dramatically. Driven by the benefits -- easy access, sharing of resources, easy fail-over and dramatically improving productivity -- within the near future companies will reduce cost and complexity [with grids].
Our products and systems are getting more and more complex, and the infrastructure is getting more complex. Scaling the infrastructure means scaling the people. But if you have a grid in place, you can handle a factor-of-10 increase in resources with the same people.
How pervasive will grids be in corporations in, say, five years? Companies in the life sciences and the financial sector are already advanced today in using local grid technology. In about five years, many of the Fortune 500 companies will be still growing globally, having subsidiaries all over the world, and within these subsidiaries they have IT equipment that may be empty because it's night. So now in a global enterprise grid, a company in Europe, for example, might want to send jobs to America, where people are still sleeping.
Wolfgang Gentzsch of MCNC Inc.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Live Webcast
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...