Seagate ships 400GB hard disk drive
Pricing for the drive was not announced
IDG News Service - Seagate Technology LLC said yesterday that it has started shipping a hard disk drive, targeted at PCs, that offers 400GB of storage space.
As more and more people use PCs for multimedia applications, particularly editing of home videos and downloading of movies and TV shows from peer-to-peer networks, demand for larger capacity hard disk drives is growing. In addition to offering high storage capacities, such drives need to be able to read and write data to the drive fast enough to keep up with real-time video.
The drive is the fourth member of Seagate's Barracuda 7200.8 series and is available in two versions, one with an Ultra ATA/100 interface and one with a Serial ATA interface. The rotational speed of the disc is 7,200 rpm, with an average seek time of 8 milliseconds.
The Serial ATA version supports a technology called Native Command Queuing (NCQ), which allows the drive to manage multiple commands from the PC in whatever order it deems most efficient. Until now, drives handled read and write requests in the order they were received. With NCQ technology, users of the Serial ATA version of the Barracuda drive with systems that support NCQ will see performance closer to that of a 10,000-rpm drive than that of a 7,200-rpm device, according to Seagate.
The disc includes three media platters, each capable of storing 133GB of data, which is a record for a drive designed for PCs, according to the company. Pricing wasn't announced.
Seagate first announced plans for the drive in June at a news conference in Tokyo.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts