Seagate ships 400GB hard disk drive
Pricing for the drive was not announced
IDG News Service - Seagate Technology LLC said yesterday that it has started shipping a hard disk drive, targeted at PCs, that offers 400GB of storage space.
As more and more people use PCs for multimedia applications, particularly editing of home videos and downloading of movies and TV shows from peer-to-peer networks, demand for larger capacity hard disk drives is growing. In addition to offering high storage capacities, such drives need to be able to read and write data to the drive fast enough to keep up with real-time video.
The drive is the fourth member of Seagate's Barracuda 7200.8 series and is available in two versions, one with an Ultra ATA/100 interface and one with a Serial ATA interface. The rotational speed of the disc is 7,200 rpm, with an average seek time of 8 milliseconds.
The Serial ATA version supports a technology called Native Command Queuing (NCQ), which allows the drive to manage multiple commands from the PC in whatever order it deems most efficient. Until now, drives handled read and write requests in the order they were received. With NCQ technology, users of the Serial ATA version of the Barracuda drive with systems that support NCQ will see performance closer to that of a 10,000-rpm drive than that of a 7,200-rpm device, according to Seagate.
The disc includes three media platters, each capable of storing 133GB of data, which is a record for a drive designed for PCs, according to the company. Pricing wasn't announced.
Seagate first announced plans for the drive in June at a news conference in Tokyo.
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts