Computerworld - ... when it comes to major technology implementations," warns John Norcross, vice president of technology at Celerant Consulting Inc. in Lexington, Mass. The U.S. branch of Novell Inc.'s U.K.-based consultancy teamed with newsweekly The Economist to poll
executives at 290 mostly midsize U.S. and Canadian companies on their ability to handle big IT projects. Norcross says the survey results, which will be released this week, revealed that less than half of the respondents have attempted a major technology rollout during the past three years. He worries that the hiatus, combined with the "decimation" of IT departments through cutbacks and outsourcing, will hobble any IT-dependent "transformational change" initiatives demanded by top management as the economy improves. "I don't know whether it's a crisis, but it's approaching one," he contends. Although consultancies might benefit from the situation, Norcross says that without IT expertise inside companies, "all you've got is a bunch of generic consultants with generic knowledge producing a generic solution."
Wireless defenses reinforced with ...
... the release this month of rival offerings AirDefense 6.0 and PredatorWatch Auditor 128. Anil Khatod, CEO of AirDefense Inc. in Alpharetta, Ga., claims that the 6.0 upgrade of the software for the company's wireless network security appliances "can defend wireless devices and/or the wired devices they're connected to." The release adds client-side code that prevents online sessions from being hijacked to bogus Web sites when end users connect their laptops to public hot spots. Users are also now protected from intruders sneaking onto their machines via Bluetooth links. In addition, AirDefense 6.0 features improved network intrusion-detection and automated rogue management features, Khatod says. Pricing starts at $6,995.
John Norcross, vice president of technology at Celerant Consulting Inc.
Secure Web services need more ...
... than well-intended standards, says Joelle Gropper Kaufman, vice president of marketing at Reactivity Inc. in Belmont, Calif. Gropper Kaufman says that standards such as WS-Security "are not implemented identically by vendors." Reactivity Chief Technology Officer John Lilly adds that the existing standards aren't comprehensive.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more