Computerworld - Do you think all of the vendors that once offered VMS-related products and services have deserted the operating system? Think again. Several companies continue to build applications or design services for the workhorse operating system.
- Nemonix Engineering Inc. in Holliston, Mass., has built a thriving VAX support business. It manufacturers replacement CPU cards, for example, and replacement parts that give VAX systems access to newer technology such as Fast Ethernet or Ultra Wide SCSI. The Logical Company in Cottage Grove, Ore., also makes replacement VAX parts.
- Executive Software International Inc. in Burbank, Calif., has four products available for the platform, including its flagship Diskeeper defragmenter. What isn't so well known is that the company was originally devoted solely to OpenVMS and began offering Windows-based tools only in the mid-'90s. It reports thriving sales in its VMS segment.
- Software Resources International SA in Switzerland offers Charon-VAX, a VAX emulator that makes old OpenVMS applications think they're running on a VAX. Emulation software is available on Windows and Alpha platforms.
HP also lists dozens of OpenVMS to Itanium partners on its Web site. Here are a few of those partners and the products they're porting to Itanium:
- BEA Systems Inc.: Various application server products
- Brooks Automation Inc.: PROMIS MES (management execution system).
- Computer Associates International Inc.: Dozens of CA products are available on OpenVMS. Unicenter and Ingres database product lines are first in line to be ported to Itanium.
- BMC Software Inc.: Various storage related products
- Ergonomic Solutions: Wireless text-messaging delivery products
Read more about Operating Systems in Computerworld's Operating Systems Topic Center.
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Turning Insight Into Action: Social Media Intelligence The amount of data produced on social media is staggering - and so is the potential business value for enterprises that know what...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Protecting Critical SaaS Data Before It's Too Late In this webinar, you'll hear how to avoid SaaS data loss through best practices from a panel of experts.
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel... All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts