Computerworld - 1. California, 2003: Diebold installs uncertified software without notifying authorities.
2. California, 2004: State Senate committee passes an urgent bill to ban all computerized voting in 2004.
3. California, 2004: Secretary of state decertifies Diebold for November election.
4. Alameda County, 2004: Diebold control modules fail to start up.
5. Orange County, 2004: Hart InterCivic Inc. DREs trip circuit breaker and shut down when batteries die; voters are turned away from the polls.
6. Orange County, 2004: Hart access-code confusion causes 7,000 voters to receive the wrong ballots.
7. San Diego County, 2004: Diebold DREs lose votes; control modules fail to start up properly.
8. Bernalillo County, 2002: Insufficient memory results in failure to count 12,000 of 48,000 votes.
9. Arapahoe County, 2004: Failure to maintain DRE battery charge results in expenditure of more than $100,000 to replace batteries.
10. Dallas County, 2002: Election Systems and Software Inc. (ES&S) iVotronic systems mark incorrect choices on voting screens.
11. Harris County, 2003: Hart DREs don't start; voters must use makeshift paper ballots.
12. Hinds County, 2003: DREs overheat and break down; election invalidated, then reheld.
13. Indiana, 2004: ES&S installs uncertified software on iVotronic system and admits the older, certified version won't tabulate votes.
14. Floyd and Coveta Counties, 2002: Diebold DREs lock up; access cards malfunction; wrong candidates are marked on-screen.
15. Bryan and Terrell Counties, 2002: Diebold DRE ballots display wrong races and omit some altogether.
16. Muscogee County, 2003: DREs register "yes" when voters vote "no."
17. Georgia, 2004: Diebold ballot encoding mix-ups prevent voting in primary.
18. Montgomery County, 2004: Diebold DRE shows incomplete ballot when font is magnified.
19. Sarasota County, 2004: ES&S DREs fail to count 189 votes.
20. Wake County, 2002: ES&S iVotronic software loses 436 ballots.
21. Broward County, 2002: ES&S iVotronic error results in failure to count 22% of the votes.
22. Broward County, 2004: ES&S DREs lose 134 votes; margin is 12 votes.
23. Miami-Dade County, 2002: ES&S iVotronic system fails to count 8.2% of the votes.
24. Miami-Dade county, 2004: Severe audit log bug in ES&S iVotronic system is revealed; it had been detected nearly a year earlier.
A snapshot of various places around the country where problems with electronic voting systems have been reported.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- CIOs strive to harness Big Data while keeping an eye on the bottom line Read this whitepaper to learn how Red Hat Storage Server allows CIOs to confidently support business growth, manage cost and risk, capitalize on...
- Enterprise architects challenged to manage data explosion Read this whitepaper to find out how Red Hat Storage Server can allow enterprises to quickly and confidently deliver business applications that minimize...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Live Webcast Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!