Computerworld - 1. California, 2003: Diebold installs uncertified software without notifying authorities.
2. California, 2004: State Senate committee passes an urgent bill to ban all computerized voting in 2004.
3. California, 2004: Secretary of state decertifies Diebold for November election.
4. Alameda County, 2004: Diebold control modules fail to start up.
5. Orange County, 2004: Hart InterCivic Inc. DREs trip circuit breaker and shut down when batteries die; voters are turned away from the polls.
6. Orange County, 2004: Hart access-code confusion causes 7,000 voters to receive the wrong ballots.
7. San Diego County, 2004: Diebold DREs lose votes; control modules fail to start up properly.
8. Bernalillo County, 2002: Insufficient memory results in failure to count 12,000 of 48,000 votes.
9. Arapahoe County, 2004: Failure to maintain DRE battery charge results in expenditure of more than $100,000 to replace batteries.
10. Dallas County, 2002: Election Systems and Software Inc. (ES&S) iVotronic systems mark incorrect choices on voting screens.
11. Harris County, 2003: Hart DREs don't start; voters must use makeshift paper ballots.
12. Hinds County, 2003: DREs overheat and break down; election invalidated, then reheld.
13. Indiana, 2004: ES&S installs uncertified software on iVotronic system and admits the older, certified version won't tabulate votes.
14. Floyd and Coveta Counties, 2002: Diebold DREs lock up; access cards malfunction; wrong candidates are marked on-screen.
15. Bryan and Terrell Counties, 2002: Diebold DRE ballots display wrong races and omit some altogether.
16. Muscogee County, 2003: DREs register "yes" when voters vote "no."
17. Georgia, 2004: Diebold ballot encoding mix-ups prevent voting in primary.
18. Montgomery County, 2004: Diebold DRE shows incomplete ballot when font is magnified.
19. Sarasota County, 2004: ES&S DREs fail to count 189 votes.
20. Wake County, 2002: ES&S iVotronic software loses 436 ballots.
21. Broward County, 2002: ES&S iVotronic error results in failure to count 22% of the votes.
22. Broward County, 2004: ES&S DREs lose 134 votes; margin is 12 votes.
23. Miami-Dade County, 2002: ES&S iVotronic system fails to count 8.2% of the votes.
24. Miami-Dade county, 2004: Severe audit log bug in ES&S iVotronic system is revealed; it had been detected nearly a year earlier.
A snapshot of various places around the country where problems with electronic voting systems have been reported.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts