An Introduction to Visible Ops
Computerworld - Practitioners in information technology face pressures on many fronts. In addition to the demands to become more efficient, IT must now address challenges to maintain a secure state and comply with regulatory requirements. For example, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 is forcing publicly held U.S. corporations to attest to the fact that internal controls are both in place and effective. IT operational best practices, such as the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL), provide a framework to start defining repeatable and verifiable IT processes. However, as organizations attempt to use ITIL to begin their journey toward process improvement, they face a very difficult question: How and where do you start?
We have developed a methodology known as "Visible Ops." Since 2000, we have met with hundreds of IT organizations and identified eight high-performing IT groups with the highest service levels, best security and best efficiencies. What was most amazing about them was that they shared the following attributes: a culture of change management, a culture of causality and a culture that fundamentally valued effective and auditable controls, promoting fact-based management. Visible Ops reflects the lessons learned about how these organizations work and describes a control-based entry point into the world of ITIL that others can leverage to springboard their own process improvement efforts.
In the IT industry, Stephen Elliot, an analyst at IDC, showed that on average, 80% of IT system outages are caused by operator and application errors. This motivated our need to dig into causal factors of infrastructure downtime, which continually revealed shortfalls in change management practices. Often, many organizations would have well-documented change management practices, but in reality, no one ever followed them. In many of these cases, the goals and motivations for having change management were not clear to management or to the practitioners themselves. Another key finding was that having a documented change management process was necessary, but far from sufficient, to achieve high-performing characteristics. In the high-performing organizations we studied, change management was embedded in the culture and had a very different meaning than in typical organizations. The Visible Ops Handbook is dedicated to describing those practices that set the high performers apart.
Something Must Need Improvement Otherwise, Why Read This?
"The most likely way the world will be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." Nathaniel Borenstein
The motivation for ITIL, change management and overall process improvement is well known. The trade press is full of stories about cost-cutting measures, outsourcing and regulatory requirements from Sarbanes-Oxley, HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996), Basel II, FISMA and so forth. The list of people talking about the problems is already large enough, so we promise to keep the discussion of the problem domain to a minimum. The issues and challenges that need to be addressed include:
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts