Computerworld - A new industry standard is raising hopes for Web services security. In April, OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards), a global standards consortium in Billerica, Mass., announced that its members had approved Web Services Security Version 1.0, a status that signifies the highest level of ratification.
WSS builds on security technologies such as XML Digital Signature, XML Encryption and X.509 certificates to provide a standard way of securing Web services message exchanges. The standard provides a framework for companies to apply security technologies such as authentication and authorization in a Web services environment. WSS has garnered broad support from vendors, and proponents say it will lead to increased adoption of Web services.
"[WSS] will become a standard for most Web services," says Ray Wagner, an analyst at Gartner Inc. "I have suggested that organizations developing strategic Web services begin using [the standard] even if they have no current security requirements. This will set the stage for easily adding security as the profile of the service changes."
Raphael Holder, vice president of shared services operations at Northrop Grumman, says his company is tracking the standard.
Read more about App Development in Computerworld's App Development Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Who's Spying on You? You're aware of the threats of malware to your business but what about the ever-changing ground rules? Cybercriminals today are launching attacks against...
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Cybercrime and Hacking White Papers |