HP unveils its first Linux laptop
Compaq nx5000 ships with Novell Inc.'s SUSE Linux 9.1 and the OpenOffice productivity suite
IDG News Service - SAN FRANCISCO -- Hewlett-Packard Co. yesterday began shipping its first notebook computer to come with the Linux operating system preinstalled.
The Compaq nx5000 was unveiled at the LinuxWorld Conference & Expo here during a keynote speech by HP's vice president of Linux, Martin Fink.
"This is the year that Linux overtakes the Mac on the desktop, and maybe my laptop will help accelerate that," Fink said.
Industry research firm IDC in Framingham, Mass., said it believes that this has already happened. "Linux captured the No. 2 spot as desktop operating system in 2003," said IDC analyst Dan Kusnetzky in a recent interview.
Though Linux has proved popular as a server operating system, it has had less success on the desktop. In late 2000, IBM began offering Linux preinstalled on its A20 and T20 notebooks, but it eventually withdrew the Linux offerings.
By 2007, IDC estimates that Linux will have 6% of the desktop market in terms of units, Kusnetzky said.
Starting at $1,140, the nx5000 ships with either Intel Corp.'s Celeron or Pentium processors, a 15-in. screen, and 30GB to 60GB of storage. The Linux version ships with Novell Inc.'s SUSE Linux 9.1 and the OpenOffice productivity suite. The product can also be purchased with Windows XP, according to HP's Web site.
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Linux and Unix White Papers | Webcasts