HP unveils its first Linux laptop
Compaq nx5000 ships with Novell Inc.'s SUSE Linux 9.1 and the OpenOffice productivity suite
IDG News Service - SAN FRANCISCO -- Hewlett-Packard Co. yesterday began shipping its first notebook computer to come with the Linux operating system preinstalled.
The Compaq nx5000 was unveiled at the LinuxWorld Conference & Expo here during a keynote speech by HP's vice president of Linux, Martin Fink.
"This is the year that Linux overtakes the Mac on the desktop, and maybe my laptop will help accelerate that," Fink said.
Industry research firm IDC in Framingham, Mass., said it believes that this has already happened. "Linux captured the No. 2 spot as desktop operating system in 2003," said IDC analyst Dan Kusnetzky in a recent interview.
Though Linux has proved popular as a server operating system, it has had less success on the desktop. In late 2000, IBM began offering Linux preinstalled on its A20 and T20 notebooks, but it eventually withdrew the Linux offerings.
By 2007, IDC estimates that Linux will have 6% of the desktop market in terms of units, Kusnetzky said.
Starting at $1,140, the nx5000 ships with either Intel Corp.'s Celeron or Pentium processors, a 15-in. screen, and 30GB to 60GB of storage. The Linux version ships with Novell Inc.'s SUSE Linux 9.1 and the OpenOffice productivity suite. The product can also be purchased with Windows XP, according to HP's Web site.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Linux and Unix White Papers | Webcasts