Brief: Red Hat adds module to ease use of Microsoft Exchange with Linux
The open-source Connector for Exchange is being added to Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS
Computerworld - Linux vendor Red Hat Inc. has included the open-source Connector for Exchange in its latest quarterly beta update of its Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system.
Deb Woods, vice president of product management for the Raleigh, N.C.-based company, said the beta version, released two days ago, now includes the Evolution Connector for Microsoft Exchange Server 2000/2003 open-source code from Novell Inc. and its Ximian division. The connector was formerly called Ximian Connector before Ximian was acquired by Novell.
"Customers are looking for connectors to Exchange to help with their Exchange servers," Woods said. Before building the connector into the operating system in the new beta, customers had to "roll their own" connector by taking the Ximian product or going through the open-source community and integrating it themselves, she said.
"This helps cut out that step and builds it in," she said.
The release version of the third quarterly update of Red Hat Enterprise Linux is scheduled to go out by the end of August with the new connector included, she said.
Read more about Linux and Unix in Computerworld's Linux and Unix Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: IBM x3650 M4 BD: System x Server for Big Data Analytics The paper discusses the rise of Big Data and the importance of analytics for rapidly extracting insights from this data for improved business...
- IDC: Enterprise Workloads on The IBM X6 Portfolio: Driving Business Advantages This paper shows how the new IBM systems with X6 technology were designed to take clients to a new frontier of x86 computing.
- Driving Innovation in the Banking Industry: Cutting Edge Computing Platforms Make a Difference Analyst Report to show the benefits of the new IBM X6 in the banking industry.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Servers White Papers | Webcasts