Brief: Red Hat adds module to ease use of Microsoft Exchange with Linux
The open-source Connector for Exchange is being added to Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS
Computerworld - Linux vendor Red Hat Inc. has included the open-source Connector for Exchange in its latest quarterly beta update of its Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system.
Deb Woods, vice president of product management for the Raleigh, N.C.-based company, said the beta version, released two days ago, now includes the Evolution Connector for Microsoft Exchange Server 2000/2003 open-source code from Novell Inc. and its Ximian division. The connector was formerly called Ximian Connector before Ximian was acquired by Novell.
"Customers are looking for connectors to Exchange to help with their Exchange servers," Woods said. Before building the connector into the operating system in the new beta, customers had to "roll their own" connector by taking the Ximian product or going through the open-source community and integrating it themselves, she said.
"This helps cut out that step and builds it in," she said.
The release version of the third quarterly update of Red Hat Enterprise Linux is scheduled to go out by the end of August with the new connector included, she said.
Read more about Linux and Unix in Computerworld's Linux and Unix Topic Center.
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Servers White Papers | Webcasts